9 replies to this topic

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

I have a data management program used in the oil and gas industry that takes the lon/lat of wells and stores them in a UTM format. My issue is that the UTM values generated by the data managment program do not match those created by ArcGIS. I have been very careful in assuring that both programs are using the same coordinate system. My lon/lat values are -101.172042, 47.936982 GRS80 NAD83. My target is UTM zone 14 NAD83. Would some of you be so kind as to run the conversion in a different software and let me know the results?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have a data management program used in the oil and gas industry that takes the lon/lat of wells and stores them in a UTM format. My issue is that the UTM values generated by the data managment program do not match those created by ArcGIS. I have been very careful in assuring that both programs are using the same coordinate system. My lon/lat values are -101.172042, 47.936982 GRS80 NAD83. My target is UTM zone 14 NAD83. Would some of you be so kind as to run the conversion in a different software and let me know the results?

No problem. Email me the data (hans-at-redgeographics-dot-com) and I'll see what I can do for you.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

tellett

tellett

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (obviously!!)<br />Photography<br />Music<br />Travelling<br />Sport
  • United Kingdom

Hi Wes, I entered the lat long data into ArcMap as x,y and then converted to shapefile. I then converted the data to UTM Zone 14 NAD83 in FME and got exactly the same co-ordinates. Looks like its settings in the program you're using, you are choosing UTM 14 NAD83 metres I take it, because there is an American feet option in FME.

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

The resulting x/y coordinates in the data management software are 337782.1/5311579.3 (UTM14 NAD83 Meters).
The resulting x/y coordinates in ArcMap are 337749.66/5311580.98. The y value is quite close, but the x direction seems to be too far off.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Netherlands

Doh... Hadn't read enough of the original message...

There doesn't seem to be a GRS80 / NAD83 coordinate system in FME :(
Red Geographics

tellett

tellett

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (obviously!!)<br />Photography<br />Music<br />Travelling<br />Sport
  • United Kingdom

The resulting x/y coordinates in the data management software are 337782.1/5311579.3 (UTM14 NAD83 Meters).
The resulting x/y coordinates in ArcMap are 337749.66/5311580.98. The y value is quite close, but the x direction seems to be too far off.

How are you converting in ArcMap Wes because when I project in Nad83 UTM zone 14 I get 337782.14, 5311579.34.

You might want to try this free program as well.

http://geodesy.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/UTMS/

I ran it using the coords you gave and it came out with 337782.171,
5311579.487. Slightly different to the figure I got from Arc because you have to enter the original NAD83 coords in DD MM SSSS rather than DD. So it looks as though the data management program is working. Not sure why you're getting a different answer in Arc.

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

I ran it using the coords you gave and it came out with 337782.171,
5311579.487. Slightly different to the figure I got from Arc because you have to enter the original NAD83 coords in DD MM SSSS rather than DD. So it looks as though the data management program is working. Not sure why you're getting a different answer in Arc.

I tested this in a couple other programs and ended up with the same result as tellett. ArcMap reported basically the same results as your other program.

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Thank you all for taking the time to look into my question. After digging into the data management software some more and making a few more guesses as to what may be happening, I found that the data management software defaults to the assumption that the lat/lon are based on WGS84. When I open a table of lat/lon in ArcMap and assign WGS84 as the geographic coordinate system, then convert to UTM NAD83 Zone 14 the numbers are right on.

Thanks again to those who took the time to help.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

weird.
what ellipsoid does it use then?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Netherlands

weird.
what ellipsoid does it use then?

The only GRS80-using coordinate systems are a British one and a Belgian one that I manually added.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->