• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Diana

Diana

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Are Bellin maps of any value? I currently own 20 Bellin maps from the 17th century (mostly Caribbean islands)

Thank you.

Diana M. :)

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Diana—just deleted your other post in the map gallery as it's more approprite here I think.

As far as collectability goes I couldn't tell you but I'm sure something of that age would have some type of value. I'm sure others here can shed some more light on the topic for you.

Cheers,
Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Diana,

If they're in good condition, they might be. Two things you can do:
- Check online whether there are currently any Bellin maps being offered for sale
- Take a few of them to an antiquarian, or a dealer in antique books and prints, and have them quote you a price. Then go to another one and repeat the process.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

avz

avz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I have seen several Bellin maps at various antiquity shops including a specialty shop in Toronto.
The maps are move valuable if they have ORIGINAL colouring or no colouring at all and of course if there is not a great deal of "foxing" or wear and tear.

The maps value differ according to area of the world. Generally speaking antique maps of the "New World" are more valuable and collectible however purchasers often will buy a map for local interest.

Bellin was a highly skilled French Hydrographer and has produced some very fine maps, especially larger pieces.

I have a small Bellin map of the Hudsons Bay region in canada and I like it. I would consider buying more if you have any other Canadian pieces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->