• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

ken

ken

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Hi all. -- I work for a newspaper in S.C. and am looking for a better way to get gis data into flash.

Here's what I'm doing now:
- Doing any needed prep work in ArcDesktop
- Opening the shp file in Illustrator using MaPublisher
- MapPublisher loads each geographic feature as it's own layer in illustrator and I tell MaPublisher to use a feature property to name each layer
- I then open the illustrator file in flash where the layer names become symbol names

This all works fine except I have 2 days left on my 14-day demo of MaPublisher, and it seems a bit silly to spend $1000+ to use a program for one feature (though it does do a good job: http://www.charlesto...200802_primary/ ). I've heard of "Flash Map Creator" ($99) but the company's site (mapitout.com) is very sparse and has no specific data on the program. I've also hear rumors of MaPublisher doing a flash version of their program, but I doubt that will be much cheaper.

Any thoughts? Is Flash Map Creator any good?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've also hear rumors of MaPublisher doing a flash version of their program

The only reference I heard re. this is somebody else bringing this up some years ago. As far as I know (MAPublisher reseller), there is no upcoming Flash version of MAPublisher.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

i would be wary of any generically named software to begin with :) and specifically, last year i spent a lot of time looking for flash mapping solutions. the google results are polluted with crapware with a few gold eggs strewn about. the best stuff i saw was open source, which doesn't sound like it would necessarily fit into your workflow. generally, programs that work with flash are quite expensive, in my experience. the cheap ones are one-trick "wizards" that are probably more appropriate for 8th grade projects than professional work.

i could be wrong. just remembering the general tone of my experience last year.

ken

ken

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

The only reference I heard re. this is somebody else bringing this up some years ago. As far as I know (MAPublisher reseller), there is no upcoming Flash version of MAPublisher.

I saw that and the date (which did surprise), but I've also heard talk of it at newsartists.org (reg required). Apparently one guy is trying to get in the beta ... but I couldn't find any reference on Avenza's site.

ken

ken

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

i would be wary of any generically named software to begin with :) and specifically, last year i spent a lot of time looking for flash mapping solutions.

Likewise. But it does look like they have a decent solution (saw a PDF of it here http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=2648 ). I've e-mailed them asking about a demo ... we'll see.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a more formal way to go about this. Getting GIS maps into flash seems like something that is really hot these days, and MaPublisher is a rather niche product, but maybe KML is grabbing the attention that would be going towards a flash solution. There's a really great KML tool for ArcDesktop ( http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=14273 ), I've just never liked KML for drawing geographic areas, as I've felt like it's really doesn't let me have the same control that flash does.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

For those interested, Avenza is well on the way to a Flash exporter for MAPublisher maps from Illustrator. We are hoping for a Q2 release in 2008 for the first version, but no promises. One thing we can say for sure though is that everyone will be very pleased. Just keep an eye on this space and www.avenza.com for details as they become available. And potentially there will be a beta call sometime in the spring.
Ted

I saw that and the date (which did surprise), but I've also heard talk of it at newsartists.org (reg required). Apparently one guy is trying to get in the beta ... but I couldn't find any reference on Avenza's site.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

For those interested, Avenza is well on the way to a Flash exporter for MAPublisher maps from Illustrator. We are hoping for a Q2 release in 2008 for the first version, but no promises. One thing we can say for sure though is that everyone will be very pleased. Just keep an eye on this space and www.avenza.com for details as they become available. And potentially there will be a beta call sometime in the spring.
Ted

Can you provide any hints on the initial features/functionality? Are you taking input from potential users?

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

Usually I´d suggest using SVG, but this opens another can of wormy problems...

At least the shp -> Graphics part would be easy.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

The Flash product we are working on will essentially allow a completed map to be seamlessly exported from Illustrator to Flash including all attributes that were present in the initial GIS files. All these attributes will be converted to rollover and click attributes in Flash. Plus there will be the ability to add images and other html links. All the work will be done in Illustrator. No knowledge of Flash or Actionscript will be necessary.
Hopefully this week we will leak a URL so Cartotalkers can have a peek and a sample map or two.
Ted

Ted

Can you provide any hints on the initial features/functionality? Are you taking input from potential users?

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Anxiously awaiting...

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

Hopefully this week we will leak a URL so Cartotalkers can have a peek and a sample map or two.

Any updates on the leaked URL Ted?
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Any updates on the leaked URL Ted?

http://www.avenza.co...pwebauthor.html has a tutorial and samples.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->