• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Need some advice on this one...

I've been working on a hobby map for some time now and it's getting to the point where I'm really pleased with the way it looks. So this got me thinking... It looks like it could be feasible to print a stack of them and offer them for sale.

What are some common things I need to keep in mind? Do I need an ISBN number? Would maps count as books? (low VAT % over here) I was thinking of offering them through my website only, at least at first. Might be able to go to some travel bookstores here.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Would print-on-demand be an option? Another thing - you are probably required to send a copy or two to some national library as well.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Netherlands

Would print-on-demand be an option? Another thing - you are probably required to send a copy or two to some national library as well.

Well, I was looking at poster-printing options (I intend to issue this map as a poster) and there seem to be some pretty good deals, 500 posters for less than 300 euro's, for example. Compared to printing on demand, I think I can get a more profitable deal. Add to that the fact that I also want to use this poster as a promotional gift (promotional for me of course) and the satisfaction of seeing a big stack of my posters here :)

I don't mind investing a bit into this and taking the risk. I also would like to keep as much control over it as possible. After all, this is my baby.
Red Geographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Do I need an ISBN number?

the maps i've published commerical have had and ISBN number. I recall a fairly thorough discussion on this topic here not too long ago. maybe try to dig that up.

can't wait to see it.

rj

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Netherlands

the maps i've published commerical have had and ISBN number. I recall a fairly thorough discussion on this topic here not too long ago. maybe try to dig that up.

can't wait to see it.

Yeah, I seem to recall that discussion. I'll look for that tomorrow.

Can't show you the map yet, as it contains stuff that I'm sworn to secrecy about.
Red Geographics

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Here's the discussion on bar codes, ISBN and UPC.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:ATV, Computer, Hockey, Music and Mapping.
  • Canada

Hi all, here's is my experience in Canada.

I self-publish a map for the Sunshine Coast. Bar code only is required for here. I have a single item that costs me $100 CDN + GST per year to maintain the bar code. The map sells in over 200 locations as well as online with no problems. There are a few websites out there offering bar codes and ISBN numbers for cheap but they are not recognized by the Canadian Authority, GS1 Canada. I sent my barcode number to www.BarcodeNOW.com and they in turn sent me the bar code in .eps format. Works great at all the stores here. I believe that the ISBN comes into effect when your product has a binding. Single sheet maps are not books.

Please contact me if anyone has questions of comments.

Thanks, Jason

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi all, here's is my experience in Canada. [...] The map sells in over 200 locations as well as online with no problems.

How about promotion? I would like to do something like than, but how do you achieve to have it sell in over 200 locations? Do you have a distributor? Can you just walk in a bookstore, talk to the manager and say "Hi, I would like to sell maps in your store?"

Thanks!

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:ATV, Computer, Hockey, Music and Mapping.
  • Canada

The selling of the Super Map was all self promotion, I did just walk into these stores and talk to the manager with some nice color sales materials.

I sold the maps to them for $2.50 and they sell them for $5.00. Win/Win. AS well as the folded map I has 500 glossy maps printed that the stores put up on the wall to show to their customers. These maps were actually cheaper to produce because there was no folding. (The folding cost more than the printing!). Turns out that alot of people wanted the glossy maps which look nice so I sold them for $20.00 each.

I have no distributor, no employees and occasionally I hire an extra sales guy to help with selling and collecting. I pay him 33% commisison (way above the average) but it motivates and increases sales and distribution.

Most of the locations that I sell the map had bought advertising on it. When they sell the map in their store not only do they recover the cost of the maps but over the course of the year they recover the cost of their advertising too. Again a win/win.

Also a website and a few ads on our local cable tv station, not motion ads, just one in a rotation. I also do free work for our visitor information centers, this solidifies my map into a position them always recommending this map over the others.

I hope this helps.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

You might also read up on some of the small or self-publishing forums and lists. here is one
I have followed a few of these groups and occasionally there is a discussion on publishing & distributing maps or similar small prints.

Renee

Renee

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Maps, travel, languages, Thailand, travel, street food outside of North America, books, my daughter, my husband, my jack russell terrier, anything and everything.
  • Canada

Need some advice on this one...

I've been working on a hobby map for some time now and it's getting to the point where I'm really pleased with the way it looks. So this got me thinking... It looks like it could be feasible to print a stack of them and offer them for sale.

What are some common things I need to keep in mind? Do I need an ISBN number? Would maps count as books? (low VAT % over here) I was thinking of offering them through my website only, at least at first. Might be able to go to some travel bookstores here.

Hans, did you ever publish your hobby map? I'd love to see it.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Netherlands

Hans, did you ever publish your hobby map? I'd love to see it.

Nope, it never really materialised. That is, most of the map is done, but I never had the time to finish it.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->