• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

hey, the 'donate' button seems to have gone away since the sitelift... and search has zero hits on 'donate' ... did we find a benefactor and don't need the money anymore?

e

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

hey, the 'donate' button seems to have gone away since the sitelift... and search has zero hits on 'donate' ... did we find a benefactor and don't need the money anymore?

Oops :P

Nick handles all the financial details, although Cartotalk doesn't really cost that much to run and from what he said, I kinda assume the ads pretty much cover it. It could very well be that the donation button went MIA in one of the redesigns/reinstalls, so anybody who wants to make a donation, feel free to PM Nick about it.

Donations are always welcome of course, but what really makes this such a great place and useful resources is the contributions from the members. Posting and answering questions, posting and reviewing maps and so on.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The donate button did get removed in the redesign because I was planning on having more of a limited time "pledge drive" a la National Public Radio when the Invision Yearly Subscription fees are due. The ads certainly help too.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

The donate button did get removed in the redesign because I was planning on having more of a limited time "pledge drive" a la National Public Radio when the Invision Yearly Subscription fees are due. The ads certainly help too.

So . . . how much are the Invision subscription fees and how is it paid? Of course, this may be none of my business but if you're looking to do some fundraising towards that end it might be a worthwhile thing to share. I'd certainly be good for a few bucks . . . .

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I donated 25$ a while back (when the button was active). Not that one should expect anything in return when one makes donation or gives time. However (as a suggestion) a thank you, or mentioning one's donation on the forum would of been a nice gesture.
Chart

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The Invision fees are actually not all that much (< $100/year depending on what services are needed), and the hosting fees and domain fees total about $200/year total.

Another reason I took off the donation button was that for now, the advertising is covering the costs above, and now that I think about it we probably won't really need a user fundraiser this year unless there is some major extraneous cost.

[Now is when I will get the flood of messages from people telling me about how much cheaper I can do all of this for, but the costs are covered and you get what you pay for]

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->