2 replies to this topic

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I'm currently looking to start creating maps as a side job and was concerned about whether or not to start a DBA or LLC for myself. This is a one person shop and wanted to produce maps I can sell and perform GIS work as well.

I would like to know from the professional world what you have done to start your business.

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Unless you're using an acronym I'm not familiar with, in the US a DBA is not a legal entity. It's a legal term meaning the business is not using the same name as its proprietor, partners or the registered name of the corporation.

I think the question to ask is, do you want to be a sole proprietorship or an LLC? In most cases the LLC is advantageous because it limits your personal liability (hence the term "Limited Liability Company").

But don't take my word for it: find a good attorney that specializes in small businesses.

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

There are a lot of good articles between running a sole proprietorship versus LLC, just search Google. I ran my company as a sole proprietorship and had no problems. It honestly boils down to how much liability exposure are you comfortable with. Consulting a lawyer is always a good thing. -Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->