• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Even with the disclaimer, I think that map should *not* have a scalebar and north arrow. Either that or a *much* more strongly worded disclaimer.

Then again, anybody who is serious about hiking in such areas ought to be aware of proper map use <_<
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Any hard requirements for a map and north arrow makes me upset beyond belief!

The important point is to communicate to the audience WHERE this map is, and the relationship to ground. This can be done in several ways, one of them through a north arow, there are other ways.

A scale bar is related but slightly different, and eaisier to justify...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

<br>

1. Considering the north arrow is probably the most recognizable map object around, I think they are necessary because they inform the reader of the special geographical content... similar to how grammatical marks convey context in the written word. North arrows are a crucial part of the stage.

<br><br>This leads to one of my pet cartographic peeves - north arrows. Too often they show up on maps where they are only correctly along a single vertical line - think of a map of North America in a Lambert projection. Why even have it, especially when graticules are present? Even without any graticules or grid lines it isn't really necessary, unless the orientation of hte map is anything but north. I wouldn't say that people recognize a map as being a map because a north arrow appears. It may be recognizable but it isn't the first thing that people notice - in fact, it is probably one of the last. As with all things on a map - if it's not needed, don't include it!<br>

<br>Our north arrow is also <a href="http://www.hedbergma...harrow.jpg">our company logo</a>. So even when we do have a <a href="http://www.hedbergma...nt.jpg">clearly conic projection</a>, we kinda gotta put it on there. I wince a little when I end up putting it off on the edge, but, well, there you are. I think this is a challenge for a number of map companies, where the north arrow is essentially an identity mark. <br><br>

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Canada

Having a north arrow the doubles as a company logo on the map I can understand (and forgive). Then there are always clients who insist on having one. Strangley, I find Education people want a north arrow on the map as well, to be used as part of their teaching I suppose. That makes sense on one level but on another it doesn't (i.e. when the north arrow is so obviously incorrect for most of hte map). Wouldn't it be more educational not to have a north arrow and then raise the question in class as to why it isn't there? Somehow, that doesn't seem to fly.

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

When I do panoramic maps, I often use a 'compass bar' across the top for direction. The scale is suggested by the distances given to features from the viewpoint. For example, see

http://www.polarisma...i/sims_pano.jpg

I really like the grand canyon map overall, but the north arrow and scale bar with disclaimer make little sense to me. Does anyone know who made it?

Eric

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

I'm with Map Media on this one. Map conventions are on a map by map basis...wait is that a contradiction?

Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo.com)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->