• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I see what you're saying, but luckily I'm not cheating. I already handed in what I needed to and was graded on it. I was wondering about digitizing in Illustrator because everything we do for the rest of the semester will build on this one hand digitizing, I want it to be as accurate as possible. Since I did it on a laptop, it's not as accurate as it could be.

Wasn't trying to expose you as a cheater ;)

Why would digitizing on a laptop be less accurate? Sure, the screen is smaller, but I don't really see how that would be a problem. Only thing I can think of is reduced accuracy of a trackpad (I'm always fighting with mine), but if you hook up a mouse or tablet, you've got that covered too.

So once I use Live Trace, how do I plug that into ArcMap? Well I guess I could ask my teacher that question, but instead what would I save it as so ArcMap can read it?

MAPublisher could be useful, would allow you to export it with georeference and attributes. Alternatively, save as DXF, but then you'd have to position it again in ArcMap.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Do the trace > save as dxf > import dxf to Arc > reference the linework inside of arc

One hint is to draw some known reference/control points inside of Illy before doing the export, say the map frame.

Cheers.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Since it didn't come up already, if you've got the ArcScan Extension, you can use interactive vectorization to do what you're asking entirely in ArcGIS.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Since it didn't come up already, if you've got the ArcScan Extension, you can use interactive vectorization to do what you're asking entirely in ArcGIS.

I agree. If you have it, ArcScan is the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->