Digitizing Maps in ArcMap

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Guest_psalesses_*

Guest_psalesses_*
  • Guests
If I'm digitizing a map that is only the outline of a country and it's a .TIF, is there an easier way to get it digitized than what I'm doing?

Right now I'm clicking on every point around the map by going to Editor>Start Editing. I know I can import the outline into Illustrator and use the tools in illustrator to create a vector based outline. Is there a way to get that back into ArcMap?

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If I'm digitizing a map that is only the outline of a country and it's a .TIF, is there an easier way to get it digitized than what I'm doing?

Right now I'm clicking on every point around the map by going to Editor>Start Editing. I know I can import the outline into Illustrator and use the tools in illustrator to create a vector based outline. Is there a way to get that back into ArcMap?

If you're going to be doing a lot of this type of work check out the Mapublisher plugin from Avenza. It does exactly what you're looking for. If this is a one-off thing, I'd stick with creating points in Arcmap. There plenty of settings in Arc that can make the job a lot faster and easier.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Is there a way to get that back into ArcMap?

You could export from AI as a DWG, load that in Arc, and then use the spatial adjustment tools to reference it.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Why even digitize a country outline? Doesn't ArcMap come with a series of data discs in which is included a map of the world with country borders? And if you need something with more detail, surely you'd be able to find something on the web that would meet your needs. What country are you digitizing?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

you should be lucky that you don't have to drag a puck over a board, with a taped up map!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Drewskey

Drewskey

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Why even digitize a country outline? Doesn't ArcMap come with a series of data discs in which is included a map of the world with country borders? And if you need something with more detail, surely you'd be able to find something on the web that would meet your needs. What country are you digitizing?

He's right. The disks are in an white/orange folder of cds entitled "ESRI Data and Maps " that came in the original Arc boxes.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

He's right. The disks are in an white/orange folder of cds entitled "ESRI Data and Maps " that came in the original Arc boxes.

Or download VMAP data - use the political boundaries. Quite good even for some large scale work.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Why digitize a country border? It might not be a contemporary nation.

Are VMAP borders useful at 1:500 000 or larger?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Why digitize a country border? It might not be a contemporary nation.

Even in the case of historical borders, modern features can often be used to delineate them (e.g. water features, graticules, drainage basins). Understandably, sometimes it's just easier to trace then to research and gather and verify the data.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Why not georeference the image in ArcMap to the data? It may not be perfect but atleast it will do the job.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Guest_psalesses_*

Guest_psalesses_*
  • Guests
I forgot so many of you are professionals. In the cae that it were a "real" country, I realize it's already done.

For the sake of this thread, pretend it's a new county or something. I have an assignment from my teacher to digitize a fake country border and he gave us a different .TIF for each layer. The first .TIF has just a black outline for the countries border.

Is there anyway I can turn that .TIF into a vector file in Illustrator and then import so I don't have to trace?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I forgot so many of you are professionals. In the cae that it were a "real" country, I realize it's already done.

For the sake of this thread, pretend it's a new county or something. I have an assignment from my teacher to digitize a fake country border and he gave us a different .TIF for each layer. The first .TIF has just a black outline for the countries border.

Is there anyway I can turn that .TIF into a vector file in Illustrator and then import so I don't have to trace?

Live Trace in Illustrator. If it's just a solid background color with black borders, it should work.

However... if the assignment is to digitize... and you're trying to get around that by asking questions in a public forum (which your teacher may read too and which will certainly be picked up by Google)... I'm just saying... :rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Guest_psalesses_*

Guest_psalesses_*
  • Guests

Why not georeference the image in ArcMap to the data? It may not be perfect but atleast it will do the job.

We were suppose to georeference it in ArcMap and I did that. I turned it in, got a 95%, but my digitization is off by 2% from what the actual is suppose to be. Since I'm using a laptop, it's not exactly the easiest to digitize on.

Guest_psalesses_*

Guest_psalesses_*
  • Guests

Live Trace in Illustrator. If it's just a solid background color with black borders, it should work.

However... if the assignment is to digitize... and you're trying to get around that by asking questions in a public forum (which your teacher may read too and which will certainly be picked up by Google)... I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

Hans,

I see what you're saying, but luckily I'm not cheating. I already handed in what I needed to and was graded on it. I was wondering about digitizing in Illustrator because everything we do for the rest of the semester will build on this one hand digitizing, I want it to be as accurate as possible. Since I did it on a laptop, it's not as accurate as it could be.

So once I use Live Trace, how do I plug that into ArcMap? Well I guess I could ask my teacher that question, but instead what would I save it as so ArcMap can read it?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I don't see how using a laptop would make the ArcMap digitalisation lower quality. It take longer time if you need to zoom in more, though.

Hand-tracing in Illy is nothing I would want to do for longer times with a trackpad though.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->