5 replies to this topic

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Map for review. Thanks for all your comments and critiques in advance.

Attached File  se_alaska_web.jpg   1020.72KB   266 downloads

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Umm, could you provide context: for what client or what audience is the map intended?

My initial reaction is I want to see at least some of neighboring Canada... the water features and roads just disappearing at the boundary is kinda weird.

The relief is nice; kind of old-fashioned. I'd like to see a little more texture in the glaciers.

I find the colored-line borders for park areas distracting, especially where it conforms to complex coastlines. Do the designations really not include coastal waters? The lines look too similar to road lines... I was confused at first.

The overall layout it very nice, and except for "falling off the edge of the earth" at Canada, I like the texturing in the "empty" sections. I would like to see a more coastally-oriented vignette in the water; I detect a slight darkening on land, but I'd like to see that more definitely follow coastlines.

Given the density/saturation of the land colors, I want to see a heavier weight type for towns. This would also allow you to make the type a little smaller. The "mod" type doesn't work for me on readability grounds, but I may just be a fuddyduddy on that one.

I'm sorry I sound negative on this... it's an intriguing draft, and not far from being a really nice map. I'm looking forward to the next round.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

First impression on seeing the full map is it looks cool. Like Nat I think this is a good first draft.

Now, the quibbles:
The graticule is at an angle, but the north arrow points straight up.
I find some of the type and some of the boundary colors are a bit difficult to distinguish from their backgrounds. I suspect some of it would be even harder for people with red-green color blindness. Some of the type is very small, too. Maybe it all works better when printed.
Third paragraph of the descriptive text near the top of the map says "Glaciers are also a dominate feature". I think that should be "dominant".
Fourth paragraph, "forest" in "US forest Service" should be capitalized.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Thanks Nat and Dave for your excellent comments.

Honestly, I was hoping for more input. This is most likely my fault since I just threw the map out there with no background information. Sorry about that.

I made this map out of curiosity for the area and as a tourism map that could be customized to a potential client's needs (basically I made the map in my free time). The format is quite large at 48"x36", but I think by omitting some detailed annotation on the map, I could successfully size it down for websites, brochures, etc. However, I would like to keep it in its poster format size if at all possible.

A few other notes:
  • With the exception of Glacier Bay Wilderness, all other Federal lands only cover land, not water. I thought about including the water for GBW, but made a design decision to keep the boundaries along the landforms uniform, sacrificing a bit of accuracy.
  • Data dropping off at Canada: Another design decision intended to concentrate the map reader's focus on SE Alaska, but I can see how it is strange (especially for Canadians) :huh:
  • I almost always make it a point to diversify my fonts within each map I create to increase texture and further delineate the differences in symbology between features (personal mapping tic).

That's about it, I have already integrated some of Nat's and Dave's comments. The map is well on its way.

Thanks,
M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Some of the text is kinda hard to read--atleast on screen it is. I'm thinking that if I'm a tourist I would like to be able to read the information without being too distracted by the more dominant land fill.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I too was hoping for more context, but here it goes...

Love the map. and agree with previous comments.

I see the map as part of a state map series of local air service for tourism sector?
Things I really like at first glance: legend/north arrow (maybe swap nautical theme for aeronautical) and overall design.

I would like to see some reference paid to Canada: major landforms and highways and lakes?

If this map is for aviation tourism, I would change the following:

- are wilderness obstacles? change boundary from yellow to dark green?
- elevation/ hillshade: as a pilot myself, I wanted to see the elevation gradient quite clearly, and definitely know where the ridges and saddles are (so while I can appreciate the old-school relief, I want more detail) - again, I may have the audience wrong, so this comment is contingent.
- if this is an aero and ferry tourism map (explore SE Alaska via plane or ferry), how about some other POIs (whale migration route?)

Overall I really like the colors. Looking forward to the next revision.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->