Photo

where can I get access to terrain shading?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

amproehl

amproehl

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm a non-professional map designer making maps mostly in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm interested in getting access to shaded terrain imaging for some of my maps and was wondering if anyone knows a good source. It seems like some of this should be available for free but I'm willing to pay a reasonable (non-commercial) fee for it.

Anyone know a source?

thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm a non-professional map designer making maps mostly in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm interested in getting access to shaded terrain imaging for some of my maps and was wondering if anyone knows a good source. It seems like some of this should be available for free but I'm willing to pay a reasonable (non-commercial) fee for it.

If I'm not mistaken, the USGS Seamless Server offers shaded relief images based on NED and SRTM. They seem to be having some hardware problems right now, so I can't check.

However, ESRI is offering them as well:
NED Shaded Relief

The downside would be that you have little to no control over the image. If you download the elevation data, you can use GIS software such as Global Mapper to create the shaded relief and have some more control over the output.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Anyone know a source?

thanks!

Most likly you won't be able to use any of the on-line images since they will be projected (stretched) by the creator to their liking. All you have to do in download free 3DEM at http://www.visualiza...e.com/3dem.html and download the terrain form USGS Seamless Server. This way you can create your own shading any way you want it.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

For small-scale maps, you might also consider the "prepackaged" mapping of (for example) Mountain High Maps or USA Relief Maps, both by Digital Wisdom. I've seen these used to good effect as editorial illustration. You can't reproject and there's a limit to what scales you can use, but the file structure is solid. Map Resources (formerly Cartesia) also offers a "terrain" package. I'm sure there are others internationally... perhaps our non-USA colleagues can suggest some?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->