• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Working on a little hobby project at the moment, I was wondering what the major differences from a user's point of view are between 1 arcsecond SRTM and the USGS National Elevation Dataset. Obviously the resolution, but what about the data quality? (Can't get my hands on NED at the moment, seamless.usgs.gov is down for maintenance).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Netherlands

Working on a little hobby project at the moment, I was wondering what the major differences from a user's point of view are between 1 arcsecond SRTM and the USGS National Elevation Dataset. Obviously the resolution, but what about the data quality? (Can't get my hands on NED at the moment, seamless.usgs.gov is down for maintenance).

Answering my own question...

Finally found some 10-m data, assuming it's NED or NED-derived of the area of interest and for now it seems to be better. SRTM has some gaps here and there and filling them always leaves some visible artifacts. NED doesn't seem to have this.
Red Geographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

You are right about SRTM, it has gaps and any automated patching results in botched surface. I believe NASA had used some other data to fill up the holes and corrected version was available for a price. However some say that SRTM data is true representation of the surface as the radar signal penetrates the canopy of trees and gets reflected from hard surfaces only whereas the visible band from tree tops. Any experts of radiometry or the science of radar?

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Netherlands

You are right about SRTM, it has gaps and any automated patching results in botched surface. I believe NASA had used some other data to fill up the holes and corrected version was available for a price. However some say that SRTM data is true representation of the surface as the radar signal penetrates the canopy of trees and gets reflected from hard surfaces only whereas the visible band from tree tops. Any experts of radiometry or the science of radar?

If I'm not mistaken, SRTM has a vertical error of about 16 meters so true or not, with that kind of error it doesn't really matter :)
Red Geographics

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

If I'm not mistaken, SRTM has a vertical error of about 16 meters so true or not, with that kind of error it doesn't really matter :)

Depending on the location, the reported vertical error of the NED can be as high as the SRTM. It is important to consider relative error (grid to grid) for the area you are working in. A few years ago I did some comparative anaysis with NED and Lidar. There were some expected differences but overall the data agreed better than I had hoped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->