• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

memillett

memillett

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I'm working on a project which requires the use of ArcScene. It's an interpolated surface map representing Palmer Drought Severity Index (PDSI) values across the U.S. I'm having problem, though, with the lack of a crisp line around the edge of the map (see jpg image). Does anyone have any ideas with this? Are there ways to get this to display without the jagged lines?

Attached Files

• Attached File  pdsi.jpg   177.45KB   135 downloads

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Cleaning it up in Photoshop might be the quickest and most rewarding solution...

I'm working on a project which requires the use of ArcScene. It's an interpolated surface map representing Palmer Drought Severity Index (PDSI) values across the U.S. I'm having problem, though, with the lack of a crisp line around the edge of the map (see jpg image). Does anyone have any ideas with this? Are there ways to get this to display without the jagged lines?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

while i haven't played with arcscene that often, i do know that it is notoriously bad at display and exporting. I would have to agree wtih matthew that cleaning it up in photoshop may be the quickest and most rewarding, since the "jaggedness" you're seeing is directly related to the underlying raster cell size. the only other things that i can think of off the top of my head involves resampling the data. have you tried resampling the the display of the raster? if not, go into the properties of the layer and change the display resampling to continuous data (such as bilinear or cubic). this will smooth it up a little, but I can't promise that it will "fix" the issue.

good luck!

~a~
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Have you tried converting your surface to a TIN and seeing what happens??

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Usually you would clip the surface and then render it - not sure if that was part of your process. You can definitely do that if you render a TIN.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • United Kingdom

Have a look at the following:

http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=12632

Dave

memillett

memillett

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the tip. It appears it looks pretty much the same, though. Thanks anyway ... Matt

while i haven't played with arcscene that often, i do know that it is notoriously bad at display and exporting. I would have to agree wtih matthew that cleaning it up in photoshop may be the quickest and most rewarding, since the "jaggedness" you're seeing is directly related to the underlying raster cell size. the only other things that i can think of off the top of my head involves resampling the data. have you tried resampling the the display of the raster? if not, go into the properties of the layer and change the display resampling to continuous data (such as bilinear or cubic). this will smooth it up a little, but I can't promise that it will "fix" the issue.

good luck!

~a~

memillett

memillett

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Unfortunately, I have to make 500 of these for an animation!

Cleaning it up in Photoshop might be the quickest and most rewarding solution...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->