Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Hello everybody

I would like your feedback on this new map that is still in progress. It is about a study I’ve been working on for the last weeks concerning the wind speed measurements on the island of Andros. My purpose was to have the summary of the study just by presenting this map. Is the first time I’m doing that and in fact is the first time I’m merging my work with GIS.

Thanks
Aris

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would like your feedback on this new map that is still in progress. It is about a study I’ve been working on for the last weeks concerning the wind speed measurements on the island of Andros. My purpose was to have the summary of the study just by presenting this map. Is the first time I’m doing that and in fact is the first time I’m merging my work with GIS.

Looks very nice, but I do have some questions and remarks:
- How do the measured average wind speeds at 10 and 20m relate to the mapped wind speeds, and would it be useful to have those speeds indicated in the legend?

- The sea layer of your locator map is off, is that intentional? Just wondering :) Also, why are you showing all districts? In this case, a simple land/sea map would do just fine.

- Perhaps you could show the local topography a bit more. Indicate what part of Andros we're looking at (I'd like to know)

- Drop the gridlines underneath the text/legend, they're interfering.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

Cool looking map but it would be helpful to have the shoreline and some community points showing up on the main map to aid the user in determining where things are.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very intriguing map Aris.

I don't think I have such an attractive wind speed map before (not that I have every seen a wind speed map before...). There were a few things that are unclear to me. Doesn't each tower have an anemometer to collect wind speeds? If it's collected at the mast, did you vertically extrapolate the wind speed from 20m to 49m and horizontally extrapolate the values along a 30m grid? I wonder what the range of error is.

I think the drop shadow on the rose diagrams are a little large and distracting. I think I might be able to comprehend their meanings a little better if they were stylized differently. Perhaps placing the percentage/direction graticule on top of the wind/energy "blobs" might make reading the charts a little more intuitive. You could also use concentric wedges but I like your more organic shape.

There seems to be a few different fonts used on the map. Consolidating fonts helps hold the different elements on the map together.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Aris,

I like the overall feel/color palette of the map. Nice clean and tight isohypses, however as others have mentioned, the land/water boundary is lost. I agree with Hans in that your text block needs to be more opaque or 100%. One of the most common problems that I see with a lot of GIS produced maps are overlapping values on the legend. What color/range does 2, 4, 6, etc... fall in, according to your legend they all fall in two categories.
I also feel that the inset is way to busy. There doesn't need to be a gradient and six different colors. I'm confused as to what they represent, but I would assume states, but of what country? I'm guessing Greece, but for all I know they could be a part of Turkey or some other country. I would think that an inset with of what/where you are mapping would be more helpful with a few basic geographic terms such as Greece, Andros, Med. Sea, etc...
The map is looking good, but could use some minor adjustments.

Kristian
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Nice hill shading and choice of color scheme. Looks quite good for a first attempt at using a GIS.

In addition to the previous comments I would add this non-cartographic critique - the text is cumbersome.
I suggest two things:

1. Tighten up the writing (ie. revise things like "It is worth mentioning...") and say more with less words.
2. Break it up into chunks or paragraphs and be careful of the weird word spacing caused by using fully justified text
(especially notice the last line: "carried out .")

Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Thank you all for the comments. I’ll move the grid lines underneath the text and the legend, and definitely I will change the locator map removing the districts and indicating the area of interest though I don’t exactly know how to do that. It is too small for just changing the color and if I increase the scale it won’t be easy to understand where the entire island is located. Regarding the mean wind speed layer, data were collected from the mast at heights 10 and 20 meters and they were extrapolated at 49m height and also horizontally. The uncertainty of this task depends on the procedure.

Thanks again
Aris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->