2 replies to this topic

Eldavidas

Eldavidas

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Howdy,

I’m very interested in pursuing a career in mapping. The thing is, I’m only starting to learn about this area and don’t know much about the types of jobs going. This post may seem a little vague but I’m still trying to figure out what exactly I want to do.

Well, to explain my background, I graduated from a Scottish University with a 2:1 Honours in Maths and am thinking of going on to do a Masters in a mapping subject. However, I’m not sure how to decide which course and University to study. I’m most interesting in working with maps regarding the environment and physical geography.

If anyone has any advice, or knows of any good websites showing me various mapping careers that could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance. :)

Dave

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Well, I don't know what's available to you in terms of courses, but in general I would recommend getting a mix of GIS and cartography related courses, some general graphic design and probabely some courses in environmental studies and physical geography as well (which will put you on the user's side, so later on it will be easier for you to know what your clients are looking for in a map).

Try to get as much hands-on experience as possible. Strongly consider attending the SoC summer school (never been to one myself, I have to admit, but it looks like a great way to get some experience in and meet other cartographers).

As for a website with advice and mapping careers, you've already found it :P Check out the Map Gallery and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Eldavidas

Eldavidas

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hmm, I've just realised the SoC Summer School is being held at the Uni I studied at! Pretty convenient I must say. I'll definitely consider checking that out!

To be honest, I can't find a lot of courses that teach Cartography at Masters level in the UK. The only one I really know of is at Glasgow University.

Something I really want to ask though, is where would a Masters course in GIS take you? There are plenty of these in the UK. I mean, is it important to distinguish between a Cartography and a GIS course?

Also, what's the job market like for cartography? I've noticed there are a number of posts on this forum regarding people starting up their own businesses.

He he, please be patient with my ignorance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->