• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

ringli

ringli

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I am searching for a world map in vector format (eps) that looks like a series of boats lined up side by side. My apologies for not knowing the professional terms for this view of the world. It looks a bit like this ()()()()()(). I think the planet is sliced up along meridians and 'flattened'. Would anyone be able to provide me with a link to download that map - preferably free but I would pay for it.

Thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am searching for a world map in vector format (eps) that looks like a series of boats lined up side by side. My apologies for not knowing the professional terms for this view of the world. It looks a bit like this ()()()()()(). I think the planet is sliced up along meridians and 'flattened'. Would anyone be able to provide me with a link to download that map - preferably free but I would pay for it.

That's a collection of (polyconic) map gores. If you can give some more information of what the map should look like, somebody can either point you to a free version, or make you a custom one.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

That's a collection of (polyconic) map gores. If you can give some more information of what the map should look like, somebody can either point you to a free version, or make you a custom one.

Looks like a Mollweide projection (eight gore, pseudocylindrical). Check this site out...I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for:

Gallery of Map Projections

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

ringli

ringli

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Attached File  Waldseemuller.pdf   285.82KB   250 downloadsThanks so much for your quick replies. It's great to get answers from the pros. Thanks also for the link although the sheer number of maps is a bit overwhelming. Waldseemuller is the one! http://www.galleryof...ldseemuller.pdf
Does anyone know of a version of this with 6 or 8 "slices" instead of the 12 shown?

Thanks,

tom

Edited by ringli, 30 January 2008 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->