• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Themarko

Themarko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sculpture, art, music, hiking.
  • United States
I've been hard at work learning to use Illustrator and I'm getting pretty good, but of course there is always something else to learn. What I'm trying to figure out right now is how to maintain my map scale, or establish one, when I import from ArcMap. Currently I export each layer from Arcmap and bring it in, but I haven't figured out the trick to 1)Bring all the files correctly georeferenced and 2) Maintaining/Establishing the scale. :wacko:

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Themarko,

What version of Arcmap are you using?

The illustrator export in the latest versions should output every layer turned on, on its own layer. If you add a scale bar in Arcmap that will be exported as well on the "Graphics" layer. As long as you keep everything grouped when resizing, the scale bar will always indicate the correct graphic scale if resized proportionately. To calculate a ratio scale you'll need a bit of elementary arithmetic and the horizontal size of your scale bar which is reported on the info palette in Illy.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

To maintain georeferencing you will need to use MAPublisher within Illustrator. That will also allow you to easily define and change a scale or projection wiith the MAP view editor. The latest version (6.2) has some much improved import tools that will directy import your shape files. Transformation to new projections and scaales can be made right at the time of import or later. You can also export layers back out in several different formats to bring back into your GIS program.
Rick Dey

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I move data across from ArcGIS to AI and PS (including scale bars) quite frequently. If you don't have MaPublisher you'll need to:
- Establish the desired scale and viewable extent in ESRI land and lock the dataframe/projection and don't ever change it. If you change scale etc. in ArcGIS you'll spend hours trying to "rubbersheet" data back into Illustrator.
- Be careful with your scale bar in AI and always remember it is a graphic and not dynamically linked. Throw it on a separate layer and lock it.
- If you plan on resizing your map later for output (eg. from tabloid to ANSI E), make sure you use a graphical scale bar that will resize as well. Numerical scales don't scale.
__
Matthew

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Themarko

Themarko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sculpture, art, music, hiking.
  • United States
Thanks for the advice. I am using Arcmap 9.1 and it does do a good job importing the layers into AI. Funny how sometimes you can't think of the obvious answer :P

I'm planning on getting Mapublisher as soon as I can, budget rearrangement needed first.

Turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks, you just have to motivate him.

Mark

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Here's another little tip when you need to rescale in Adobe Illustrator: make sure to enter a numerical value in the Scale window, rather than rescaling by selection and dragging. This will ensure that you can work backwards if you have to. If you need to drag the objects to a new size, make sure and use the "Shift" key while dragging so you will maintain the original shape of your objects.

I've ran into problems in the past when trying to rubber-sheet/eyeball scale and it can turn into a real a pain. Erin

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Here's another little tip when you need to rescale in Adobe Illustrator: make sure to enter a numerical value in the Scale window, rather than rescaling by selection and dragging. This will ensure that you can work backwards if you have to. If you need to drag the objects to a new size, make sure and use the "Shift" key while dragging so you will maintain the original shape of your objects.

I've ran into problems in the past when trying to rubber-sheet/eyeball scale and it can turn into a real a pain. Erin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very true!

whenever i rotate, transform or scale, i try to do it numerically. most of the time, i am working with multiple items, so it's so much easier and faster than eye-balling or snapping.

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Alpine correct me if I'm wrong are you saying you can export an mxd into AI? If so how do you go about doing that?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

len, look for export under the file menu in ArcMap, and choose .ai as the file format. There are some quirks that you need to work out (i think it is covered in other threads -- or if you want more info perhaps this should be split into a new thread...)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

This may be of interest:

HotDoor offers:
CAD Tools and CAD Gate Plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator

These allow you to import DWG/DXF into Illustrator more easily, and work in Illustrator in a specified scale. You can also measure accurately if needed....

http://www.hotdoor.com
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This may be of interest:

HotDoor offers:

These allow you to import DWG/DXF into Illustrator more easily, and work in Illustrator in a specified scale. You can also measure accurately if needed....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, CAD Tools is a very useful plug-in, but it is more oriented towards CAD than maps. Also, back when I used it (a few years ago my then employer was a distributor for HotDoor) it wasn't compatible with MAPublisher.

Regardless of that, it's a good product and definately worth checking out.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

This may be of interest:

HotDoor offers:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, CAD Tools is a very useful plug-in, but it is more oriented towards CAD than maps. Also, back when I used it (a few years ago my then employer was a distributor for HotDoor) it wasn't compatible with MAPublisher.

Regardless of that, it's a good product and definately worth checking out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, I was not thinking so much of road maps or topo maps, but more of Pseudo-Perspective maps for example where you are working at a large scale and may need to bring in a .DWG and then check the height of your buildings as you go.

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->