6 replies to this topic

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I've been working in GIS for the past 7 years in local government and I use ArcGIS on PC, which I'm use to. For GIS work I think it's great, but when trying to use Illustrator on a PC it seems to be very slow and crashes a lot.

I'm interested to know how many of you use Mac's or PC's? What has been your experience with the two?

I'm eagerly waiting to hear your comments on this topic.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I have been fortunate enough to be able to do GIS work (pre-cartography) on a PC and cartographic work on a Mac. However that is going to change soon when I get a new tower. I will be doing GIS work on a Mac with XP (Bootcamp or Parallels) and Cartographic work on the same Mac under OSX. For the money right now I think it would be very difficult to beat Apple's 8-core tower, and considering you can run a multiple OS's simultaneously, well - you have lots of flexibility for the long haul.

I am sure there will be subsequent aha! moments that I will share over the coming months as I transition. I would welcome any info from those who are currently running Arc9.2 on a Mac.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

There have been good discussions on this on Cartotalk, but to reply to ac-geographer, I think that you should whichever OS you want to, as with the ability to have multiple OSs you would be fine using a Mac for ESRI apps and drawing. I think you may want to hear from people who are doing just this to see what problems they encounter. I use a PC and run Arcmap 9.2 and CS3 with no crashes. Why is your Illy crashing? Too many fonts, low scratch space, low RAM?

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

While I use mac hardware, when booting to XP through bootcamp, its "just another PC" as far as Windows is concerned. It really comes down to personal preference and proficiency. There shouldn't be a difference, stability wise, between Illustrator on a PC and Illustrator on OSX given equal hardware. What you're describing isn't typical of most PC installs, so I would caution against using that experience as the sole reason for making a switch.*

I will say that the BootCamp drivers that come with Leopard (10.5) seem way more refined than the ones available through the BootCamp Beta program on Tiger (10.4). I'm not sure if they're available to Tiger users who aren't upgrading though.

* when there are so many other good reasons to do so! [/end fanboyism]

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I do my GIS work on my PC and finishing work on my Mac. The only reason I do so is because we are creating products 99% of the time for print production. The book designers in my department all have Macs and our font and color management is linked and synchronized together. So there is no guess work with the CMYK values and how they look on screen.

I agree with Adam, at equal hardware specs, the Illustrator versions should run with similar performance. I have Illustrator (and the rest of CS3) at home on my PC and it runs just fine, no crashing with large files. I only run a 3ghz Pentium4 with 1GB of RAM.

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Used to be a diehard Mac user, but with the transition to more GIS, I have also switched platforms. My last Mac is gathering dust at home. Honestly, I agree with the other posters, it sounds like you have a bad install of Illustrator or something screwy. I run CS2 fine in Windows except when I throw something too big at it. I also do a moderate amount of offset printing and don't have any problems nowadays with the print houses and Windows files (not the same 10 years ago).

Honestly use what your most comfortable with. -Tom

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

Now you can do gis in stevie job's world, but i don't.

Yes, now that mac can run windows the gis guru and design junkie can live in harmony on a mac or pc.

I however am use to windows, but might consider a change when i get my next computer, but really it doesn't matter. You can accomplish quite equal work on both platforms. Its just which one your more comfortable on, and for me that's a pc.

it you really need some info on choosing what is best, checkout www.macorpc.org

-Casey Greene
(cbgreene17@yahoo.com)
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->