• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I realize this may be a long shot, but I'm looking for some river data for New Guinea (specifically: the Indonesian half of the island, along with the adjoining islands in the Moluccas). It's for a personal hobby-project, so it'd have to be free.

I've got the watercourses from VMAP, but for some reason they just don't seem to cut it for me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hey Hans,

I know you posted this a while ago, how did you get on??
I know Geosciences Australia state that they have maps of that region, not sure where they are apart of their freely distributed data.
I did however also come across an interesting Wikipedia article on West Papua and I gained a little bit of insight as to why you might be interested in this area. Have a look at the map in the article.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Andrew

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I know you posted this a while ago, how did you get on??
I know Geosciences Australia state that they have maps of that region, not sure where they are apart of their freely distributed data.
I did however also come across an interesting Wikipedia article on West Papua and I gained a little bit of insight as to why you might be interested in this area. Have a look at the map in the article.

The project is shelved for the time being. Not only did I have trouble finding decent rivers, but the VMAP coastlines and SRTM elevation data didn't really line up either. Since it's just a little personal side project, I decided not to invest too much time in it, while I have more important things to do.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->