• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Has anyone played with preparing any maps for ChromaDepth glasses? I was just handed a pair of glasses from a colleague, and I peeked at a few maps off the web - I got interested in trying to try prepare some on my own (just for fun).

ChromaDepth is a new thing with 3d-glassess that uses polarisation in some way (don't know the underlying technology) that makes reds and yellow appear in the foreground, and blues in the background. And green in the middle. The glasses are fairly inexpensive, for about a US$ 1 each.

http://www.chromatek.com/
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

We have a ChromaDepth map map for sale of the Portland, OR region. It's fun too look at and it's not too difficult to make an interesting piece.

I have always wanted to try LCD shutter glasses for viewing in 3d. Perhaps some day...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

Cool, did you do it? Did you need to spend much time tweaking the shades?

Chromadepth seems interesting since it is so cheap and simple, but I find the 3d-effect to not be the most convincing, at least for continous scales. Maybe one could experiment with a more stepped gradient (limited to 6 colors/shades or so)
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I did not make that map - a "retired" colleague D. Pettersen made it about 8 years ago. It is remarkable easy however - you just use a green-to-red hypsometric tint (or any color that ramps to red).

I haven't researched it fully - but as I understand it, Chromadepth to work by mediating the light through one lens. The Chromadepth glasses have a standard plastic lens in the right eye - the left lens has a different refractive index and light passing through is modified such that colors with longer wavelengths seem closer to the forefront. The visible light spectrum matches the 3D effect produced by the glasses such that purple is the "lowest" and red is the "highest."

As long as you design your map with that criteria in mind - it works like magic!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Has anyone played with preparing any maps for ChromaDepth glasses? I was just handed a pair of glasses from a colleague, and I peeked at a few maps off the web - I got interested in trying to try prepare some on my own (just for fun).

ChromaDepth is a new thing with 3d-glassess that uses polarisation in some way (don't know the underlying technology) that makes reds and yellow appear in the foreground, and blues in the background. And green in the middle. The glasses are fairly inexpensive, for about a US$ 1 each.

Hello Hugo, forgive me for resurrecting an old thread but I wonder if you have taken this any further? The reason I ask is that I am making some slides for a lecture to be delivered by a colleague. I've made him some shaded-terrain maps for the area of interest, but I thought that a couple of Chromadepth maps might help too.

The trouble is that I'm having real problems with getting the Chromadepth colours right (so that each colour in the ramp produces the effect of being of equal depth) and this produces strange results. What I've done so far is good enough to suggest that it might be worth carrying on, but is nowhere near good enough for purpose.

Do you still have your Chromadepth glasses? If so I could post a couple of images.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

Hi, I had totally forgotten about this, and I don't even know where those glasses are at (if I even have them anymore). So - no, I haven't played with it more...
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->