Photo

How does copyright affect posting older maps online?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I have some older maps I bought in France that I would like to post online. One is from the 1800's and the other from 1947. Both are pages from larger atlases that were separated by the seller. Can I post images of these maps, or at least portions of these maps? How does copyright affect use in this case?
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have some older maps I bought in France that I would like to post online. One is from the 1800's and the other from 1947. Both are pages from larger atlases that were separated by the seller. Can I post images of these maps, or at least portions of these maps? How does copyright affect use in this case?

From what I've gathered, copyright on the 1800 one has long expired, so that's in the public domain. The 1947 one is trickier, unless the author died at the same time :)

This might help: Wikipedia article on French copyright law
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Have you considered posting the map as an educational tool? Adding commentary or a review that serve to educate readers might be allowed under French copyright law.
Bruce Hensler

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

Thanks Hans and Bruce. I hadn't thought of checking Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia:

3. In cases where the name of the author and the source are clearly indicated,
a) Analyses and short citations justified by the critical, polemical, scientific or pedagogical nature of the work.

I wanted to post these maps with an educational analysis. This appears to at least allow such posting of pieces of the 1947 map?

Philip
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->