2 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Hans, your Mapcreator 2.0 post made me think of this software I found in our office the other day: Maptitude GIS for Windows!!! Never heard of it, and the box only had some floppies for installation so I can't play with it (don't have a floppy drive anymore...), but it looks like a GIS from around 1994.

Anyone ever give this one a go?

Attached File  maptitude_1.jpg   144.77KB   69 downloadsAttached File  maptitude_2.jpg   212.7KB   83 downloads

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Hans, your Mapcreator 2.0 post made me think of this software I found in our office the other day: Maptitude GIS for Windows!!! Never heard of it, and the box only had some floppies for installation so I can't play with it (don't have a floppy drive anymore...), but it looks like a GIS from around 1994.

Anyone ever give this one a go?

I used to use it a lot a few years ago (versions 4.4 - 4.6) before switching to Manifold. It came with good selection of data: detailed census data for counties, cities, census tracts, and zip codes, TIGER and NHPN roads, and DCW/VMAP0 world data files. It's well-suited for making thematic maps, from color and pattern themes to dot-density and 3D prism maps. It renders data very quickly and is reasonably priced, too. But I found its export, projections, and relief rendering were limited and I couldn't get lines and fonts to look smooth and anti-aliased. You can't export maps directly to Illustrator, either. It also had some annoying quirks: when saving and reopening a file, labels sometimes shifted a millimeter or two, for example. I still use it for some quick and fast maps and operations. I'd definitely give it a try if you already have it (or are in Britain, as they seem to have a wealth of UK data), but for people who are considering purchasing GIS software, IMHO Manifold gives you more for your money and costs less.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Maptitude

Maptitude

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

For those who are interested, more information can be found on the Maptitude mapping software at http://www.caliper.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->