• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi,

I do a fair bit of Arctic and Antarctic thematic maps, and I am getting bored with the flat circular maps - which I also don't think communicate as well that this is the pole of a round planet.

I have experimented a bit with oblique maps, using e.g. ArcScene (and/or Google Earth), but I would actually prefer less roundness, just a hint of the globe. Maybe one can manipulate the radius of the earth in ArcScene, or shift the coordinates/scale somehow? The downhand with using ArcScene or ArcGlobe is that they can't produce any output in vector, which I would prefer (to finish the work in Illy).

Any tips/ideas? There is also the World from space and Vertical perspective projections in ArcMap...

Here are a bunch of "flat" arctic maps, made by yours truly + colleagues: http://maps.grida.no...chFree&q=arctic

Example of oblique arctic maps (globe): http://www.nasa.gov/...ce_decline.html
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have experimented a bit with oblique maps, using e.g. ArcScene (and/or Google Earth), but I would actually prefer less roundness, just a hint of the globe. Maybe one can manipulate the radius of the earth in ArcScene, or shift the coordinates/scale somehow?

That would cause a lot of trouble for projection and scale....

The oblique view, in ArcScene or GE (or other 3D vis software for that matter) is one option, but then you'd have to deal with the roundness. But if you want to convey that it's the top (or bottom, whichever you fancy) of the earth you're looking at, you're going to have to show some curvature.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I was thinking that Bryce might work.

It has been a somewhat dormant application for the last year or so on my machine - but I just dusted it off and wrapped one of T. Patterson's Natural Earth images (thanks Tom!) around a sphere. It's for a (small inset) locator map. I'm not finished with it yet. I'm going to add more boundaries and highways and may try and load elevation data and create elevations in Bryce instead of using a hillshade image - but it's only going to be about 2"x2".

In any case, using Bryce gives you lots of flexibility - you can wrap a map on any shape! :blink:

Attached Files

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

In any case, using Bryce gives you lots of flexibility - you can wrap a map on any shape! :blink:

If you can master the interface (which still brings me to tears) that is. The "wrap anything around a sphere" bit is absolutely stellar though. Just create a sphere, import any image in a 2:1 ratio as texture and Bryce goes "Oh, okay!" and slaps it on to the sphere. No worries about projections and coordinates. I only use it to create sample images for special versions of the Oolaalaa globes, but it's really helping me out a lot there.

Export is only in raster though. In fact, this may be due to the free version that I have, but it's very limited in file formats for rendering. I have to do bmp and then manually convert those to jpg.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I've battled with Byrce a few spotty times with mixed results over the past 8 years or so.

Round One: Bryce 3 won with a clean knock-out - I was on the canvas for quite a while but very intrigued.

Round Two: After a little conditioning I thought I was ready again. My training included sparring with other "MetaCremations" products like Canoma, Headline Studio and Amorphium. Bryce 4 won by decision. I was able to output but had trouble with horizon lines, etc.

Round Three: I finally knocked Bryce 5 to the mat and feel comfortable controlling the interface - enough to be pleased with the outcome.

I'll give you a hint as to what helped - I imagined myself as an alien from outerspace and everthing made sense! :lol:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->