• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

georgersilva

georgersilva

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

I would like to congratulate you on the map, and in the FlexProjector project.

Amazing map.

Casey Greene

Casey Greene

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • United States

This map gives me that "wow-i-wished-i-had-designed-it" fuzzy feeling. Great work Mr Park Service - !

The map is beautifully clean.

I don't know if you have finished with the design of the map yet, but one little nitpicky thing stuck out to me: using black arrow symbols associated to white and blue type. The white tends to blend more with the blue of your waters. Setting a black arrow next to white type on a blue background...well, the white simply drowns (haha), and with a map of this scale, the reader is left, for a moment, with black arrows sticking out, and no black text associated with it as you have represented in other areas.

It's even more of a problem when you have black type in the same vicinity as the white (or blue) type and it's corresponding black arrow. It just looks like ether a)the arrow has been misplaced, or b)the arrow is representing black type it is not meant for.

Some problem areas: Strait of Hormuz, Hainan Strait, Dardanelles, Ijsselmeer.

Since you already have the ocean depths arrows represented with a non-black color that matches the corresponding type, it might not look so bad if you changed the the other arrows accordingly.

But on a serious note, great map....where can i get a copy - !
Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
- blog
- maps

Johnny

Johnny

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

http://www.shadedrel...tural_Earth.txt

Tom, could you check the link please, it does not work at the moment?

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Wow! It looks like some I made... only bigger and better! ;)

Love it! :D

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • United States

Thanks everyone for your proof reading comments (numerous errors were caught), content suggestions, and design critique of the Physical Map of the World. I heard from a couple dozen people and about 95 percent of your feedback found its way onto the final map, which is now online at:

www.shadedrelief.com/world/

Please help yourselves to it. Of course, a map such as this can never realize total perfection and I plan to update it in the future based on comments from readers. However, please don’t tell me about any problems for a week or two so that for the time being I can enjoy the illusion that the map is error free.

Thanks again,

Tom

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Thank you, Tom! For these kinds of beautiful products and all the other knowledge you spread around the cartographic community. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I agree with Dave. Thanks Tom, for all you're doing for the community.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • United States

I've been playing with Flex Projector and found it very dangerous -- totally and rapidly addictive.

It's a video game for adults.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

cartobendigo

cartobendigo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Australia

Hi Tom,

I thought I would add my comments from my part of the world, Australia. We have just finished a World Physical map for the soon to be published atlas called Earth (www.millenniumhouse.com.au/earth). It seems you have a real mix on your map between what is local language spelling and what is the english spelling. I am certainly no expert in this area and appreciate how difficult this is to get right but you really need to ensure this is consistent across the whole map.

Anyhow, onto Australia....

Uluru (with an underscore under the 'r' is the correct spelling). Also, the label should read Uluru (Ayers Rock) 863. Ayers Rock is the english name in this case.

There is a mountain named Bartle Frere in Queensland (which is QLD highest point just south of Cairns) It is 1622 m. This would be the preferred point to show along this section of the Great Dividing Range.

Labeling the Great Barrier Reef would also be a useful addition to the map.

The Western Plateau is an interesting choice for a physical label. This is rarely seen on physical maps here in Oz.

I look forward to seeing the final product. Good luck!

Regards,
Damien

www.demap.com.au
Damien Demaj
www.demap.com.au

Green Palolo

Green Palolo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

I agree with the many compliments, this is a beautiful map.

I do have a sensitivity to the zero longitude as the center of a world map. I used to live near the 'edge' and notice when island groups and countries are cut in two. In your map you cut New Zealand, Fiji, Kiribati, USA & Russia (ignoring Antartica).

Since this is a physical map you could use 148 degrees east as the central meridian and only cut Greenland & South Georgia.

Attached File  world_148.gif   33.33KB   67 downloads

Also to be consistent. Iguazu Falls should also be labeled Foz do Iguaçu.

Thanks for the great map.

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • United States

Hi Damien,

Thanks for your comments, which I will keep for the next update of the map. Below are responses to your comments.

Uluru (with an underscore under the 'r' is the correct spelling). Also, the label should read Uluru (Ayers Rock) 863. Ayers Rock is the english name in this case.

Showing "Uluru/Ayers Rock" with a slash between the dual names instead of putting the second name in parentheses is the preferred way of handling these situations on Australian maps according to another Australian cartographer who advised me. Bowing to local preferences, I also treated Aoraki/Mt. Cook in NZ the same way.

There is a mountain named Bartle Frere in Queensland (which is QLD highest point just south of Cairns) It is 1622 m. This would be the preferred point to show along this section of the Great Dividing Range.

I had this peak in the first draft of the map but deleted it to make room for Atherton Tableland.

Labeling the Great Barrier Reef would also be a useful addition to the map.

The label is on the large wall map but not on the small map because of cramped space. I'll see if I can fit it in.

The Western Plateau is an interesting choice for a physical label. This is rarely seen on physical maps here in Oz.

I found that name in a NG atlas and decided to use it mostly fill up space in an empty part of the world. Someone else questioned this label, which tells me that it should come off map.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->