Maps: Finding Our Place in the World

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

WaltersArt

WaltersArt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

March 16th the Walters Art Museum (Baltimore, MD) will be opening what might possibly be the greatest map show on Earth! Currently opened as a precursor to the show, there is a Maps Media Lab, that explores where mapping is today. It will be a wonderful exhibit combining historical maps from George Washington and other historical figures to Inuit Kayakers maps (carved out of wood) with modern technological maps such as Google Earth.

http://www.thewalter...e...6/2008&cd=0 <here's a link for some more information.

Enjoy

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

March 16th the Walters Art Museum (Baltimore, MD) will be opening what might possibly be the greatest map show on Earth! Currently opened as a precursor to the show, there is a Maps Media Lab, that explores where mapping is today. It will be a wonderful exhibit combining historical maps from George Washington and other historical figures to Inuit Kayakers maps (carved out of wood) with modern technological maps such as Google Earth.

http://www.thewalter...e...6/2008&cd=0 <here's a link for some more information.

Dear Walters: I hate to whine, but, erm, I hope you do more to include actual contemporary cartographers (as opposed to historians of cartogrphy, artists using cartographic techniques, News of Weird Maps editors, etc etc) in the dialogues surrounding the exhibit than the Field et al did in Chicago. Making contact here is a good start. There are a number of map publishing and cartography firms in the Baltimore/Washington metroplex... why not have representatives come in for a panel discussion?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:map design, mountain cartography, typography
  • United States

Dear Walters: I hate to whine, but, erm, I hope you do more to include actual contemporary cartographers (as opposed to historians of cartogrphy, artists using cartographic techniques, News of Weird Maps editors, etc etc) in the dialogues surrounding the exhibit than the Field et al did in Chicago. Making contact here is a good start. There are a number of map publishing and cartography firms in the Baltimore/Washington metroplex... why not have representatives come in for a panel discussion?

Walters,
I am a practicing cartographer in Ellicott City (close by!) and think that Nat's idea is an excellent one. Why not have a few of us come in and talk about another side of current cartography (something other than Google's view)? I could get a few others, too.

__Alex Tait (alex@internationalmapping.com)
International Mapping
Ellicott City, MD

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

Note that this is part of the larger "Baltimore Festival of Maps." For the full scehdule, see this PDF

http://www.baltimore.../maps_chart.pdf

I can't wait to take the kids to the Port Discovery exhibit, myself.

Perhaps we should organize a CartoTalk meet up day. Once at Port Discovery with all the kids and a picnic outside after. Once somewhere else without the kids with a happy hour after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->