5 replies to this topic

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

I think land developers should be charged $100,000US per letter in their street names. Maybe they will think twice about naming their stupid little courts with extra long names. :blink:

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I think land developers should be charged $100,000US per letter in their street names. Maybe they will think twice about naming their stupid little courts with extra long names. :blink:

I totally agree.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I agree. As a firefighter, I can tell you that this practice also affects fire, police, and EMS services. Multiple streets are given the same street name with only the suffix changing so that you end up with terraces, courts, lanes, ways, etc. For firefighters turning out for an alarm at 0300 hrs, trying to recall if Shandalay Lane runs off of Shandalay Court or Shandalay Terrace (which may happen to be on the other side of the city) is a headache. On the upside, maybe this means an opportunity for more maps or improved maps.
Bruce Hensler

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Ah yes, Court envy. The tiny little street must have a long name to help make up for it feeling inadequate.
Rick Dey

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Tell me about it! In Quebec, I have to deal with stuff like 'rue Sainte-Marie-Madeleine-de-la-rivière-des-hosties-de-noms-trop-longs"

Trivia: the longest toponame in latin characters is in New Zealand:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitan
atahu (85 letters).
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I have the opposite problem. At the military base that I work at (Camp Pendleton), we have multiple streets with the same name. We have multiple 'A Street's or '11th Street's. But, not many cult-de-sacs that have long names (thankfully!).

What's even worse, is that we have multiple intersections of those streets! So, we might have A Street crossing 11 Street in two or three different places on base. But those streets aren't continuous. They can be 2 miles apart, or they can be 20 miles apart.

Or, we might have one of our main streets - Vandegrift Avenue - that has the same street (that isn't continuous) cross it. So we have multiple 11th Streets that intersect with Vandegrift.

It makes it very confusing!
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->