• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

My client goes to China a lot to invite Chinese industries to establish themselves in his town called Brossard, a suburb of Montreal. His challenge is to show the Chinese that his little-known location is an ideal entry point into the whole North American East Coast market and served by an efficient transportation infrastructure. Anyways, this is the map I gave him and he was very pleased.

I post it here because it ended up with a very unusual non-north view of North America. It made me realize how breaking the usual orientation can yield some interesting results.
Also, I think it illustrates a lot of what we were discussing in the additive-substractive thread. In this case, cartographic details were reduced to a minimum in order to emphasize the relation and proximity of Brossard to well-known names and landmarks. It’s a good example to show that once you are fixed on the intended message and audience of a map, what is removed is as important as what’s shown.
Attached File  brossard_regional_.jpg   214.84KB   585 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Great to see another one of your masterpieces Jean. I really like the small details that you chose to include, as well as the orientation. One thought, i'm curious why you didn't choose to decrease the size of the landmarks (esp the buildings) that fall se of the scene, matching your smaller font sizes and such. regardless, i really enjoy seeing the world from this perspective and your minimalist approach to meet your clients objectives. Thank you for the inspiration!

~a~
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Always a pleasure to see one of your maps.

I really like the 'point of view'.

- not sure if the arrow is required in the location map. The tinted rectangle should be sufficient.
- also the use of the standard highway shields, seem to me out of sink with your concept. (Not sure what to suggest).

edit: Ottawa seems to be on the Québec side? .... where is Gatineau :lol:

edit2: I am really enjoying looking at this map..

- Where is New-Jersey (no labels). Bruce won't be happy.
- Also ... Brossard is squeezed between two highway Shield... Maybe a bit more emphasis on 'Brossard'.

Thanks for sharing.
Chart

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Great map! Clean, simple and attractive. I'd agree with JGelinas that Brossard perhaps needs a little more emphasis - a slightly larger label perhaps? And it looks like you've got London Ontario on the map but there doesn't seem to be a label attached to it.

Good work.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • United States

Cool map!

(with the sun setting in the west though shouldn't the east be darker? just kidding :P )
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

This is great Jean-Louis. I think it is extremely effective at portraying room pour grandir. I also really like your inset map and how you made the transparency mask (tinted polygon?) look "oblique."

I do think it helps to have some icon indicating "look direction," however the black arrow seems a little fuzzy.

I find your work impressive and enjoy this perspective. I think if the area right above the title was darker (the darker shade in the green gradient extended down closer to the title) the city of Brossard would become more immediately evident. Presently my eyes rise-up off the title instead of shifting to the left.

This map makes me want to head West into the sunset...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

very cool, love it.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

This map makes me want to head West into the sunset...

Are you a poor lonesome cowboy and a long way from home...? (any other Lucky Luke fans out there?)

Damn!. the omission of New Jersey and misplacing of Ottawa were mistakes thanks Jacques for catching it. . And thanks Analisa, you are right my Detroit & Chicago are too big. I did not label London (ontario) because I thought it would confuse the chinese.
I agree Brossard is squished, It’s a really small place for such a scale. I even annexed about 40Km of American territory to give it give it a place to stand. So If you,re from Plattsburgh NY, my map says you are now Canadian. Free medical care! Come and get it! dont tell Cheney!

PS. The N-America map (shown lower on this thread) is actually a smaller inset piece to a document that has a big map of Brossard as the main feature. Here is what it looks like though it does not reduce well.
Attached File  brossard.jpg   289.13KB   444 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

It reminds me a little of Richard Harrison Edes' maps (for example---does anyone know of a better place to view a collection of Look at the Earth?).

Do you know these US Civil War era views by John Bachmann (try Florida or the Atlantic States ones)? Similarly funky angles.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

I swoon every time I see one of your maps.

The perspective and orientation on this one really are stunning, and then there is your beautiful artwork. And that Brossard map is to die for...

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Beautiful map. The placement of Pittsburgh is a little deceiving, even if the purpose is simply to indicate general transportation connections. It looks like it is right on I-80 in northern PA, almost a neighbor of Rochester!

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

Noice.

(Grabs copy of Infinite jest, scurries to corner)

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Beautiful. Like a Raven map, I can look at it for long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->