45 replies to this topic

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Did you select every single road in your document or just a pair representing one highway?

In that screen shot it may be trying to blend thousands of roads together.

erik

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I selected all the highways in that layer (state highways). If I have to select each instance seperately in order to use the blend, then I may as well just hit "delete" when I come to the extra line (which is how I've been doing it.)

I need a solution that will act upon the entire layer.

Did you select every single road in your document or just a pair representing one highway?

In that screen shot it may be trying to blend thousands of roads together.

erik

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

The attributes only show one...

Could be multipart features? In the Toolbox in ArcMap there is a tool to explode multipart to singlepart features (Data Management Tools > Features > Multipart to Singlepart). I don't know if that would help in your further processing, but might be something to try?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

My coworker just tried this - here is her response to me:

Nonie,

Already tried this. Kind of does the same thing the dissolve does. It doesn't recognize the two separate directions as two separate features, so when it does the explode, it dissolves them into one (both lanes will dissolve as two separate lines with same polyline characteristics).

The attributes only show one...

Could be multipart features? In the Toolbox in ArcMap there is a tool to explode multipart to singlepart features (Data Management Tools > Features > Multipart to Singlepart). I don't know if that would help in your further processing, but might be something to try?

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Which data set from ESRI contains highways with both lane directions represtented? I am trying to recreate the problem with the data I have from ESRI.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I have the problem with ALL the highways and roads.
The interstates and state highways aren't so bad, because in any given territory, there aren't many of them.
The ones that makes my eyes bleed are called "State Highways" and "Major Roads".

I'm going to check with our IT guy whether they are named that when they come from our vendor, and if - in fact - our vendor is ESRI.

Which data set from ESRI contains highways with both lane directions represtented? I am trying to recreate the problem with the data I have from ESRI.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

He told me that it is "Streetware" from SRC.

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

When you are zoomed into the StreetWare data in ArcGIS, do you see both "lanes" of the roadway? Would the single line ESRI data suffice for the final map scale you have in mind?

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Yes, I can see both lanes - I have an attachment somewhere along this thread that shows that.

Are you telling me that for the highway that I have from StreetWare, there is the same highway from ESRI that shows a SINGLE line?
If that is the case, then perhaps I can get the IT guy to give me access to the ESRI data instead...

When you are zoomed into the StreetWare data in ArcGIS, do you see both "lanes" of the roadway? Would the single line ESRI data suffice for the final map scale you have in mind?

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Yes, that is what I am getting at. The ESRI data has what would be the centerline of the roadway.
If your data set has two line segements for say, I-94. I would think there would be an attribute that would indicate the travel direction for each segment. If this is true, could you select only the north and west (or left and right) segments?

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Yes, you would think so, because you are a resonable human being, and that would only make sense.
You would be wrong, though - my data contains no such attribute.
[sigh]

(I have another attachment downthread with the attribute table.)

Yes, that is what I am getting at. The ESRI data has what would be the centerline of the roadway.
If your data set has two line segements for say, I-94. I would think there would be an attribute that would indicate the travel direction for each segment. If this is true, could you select only the north and west (or left and right) segments?

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Nonie, If you are referring to the post at 7:53am, I can see the attributes but not the dual lines in the ArcGIS view to the right of the table. Is this after a dissolve?
Also, thank you for "reasonable human being" comment. My wife would beg to differ.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Yes, it's hard to see the two lines because it's selected.
Let me make another one:

Nonie, If you are referring to the post at 7:53am, I can see the attributes but not the dual lines in the ArcGIS view to the right of the table. Is this after a dissolve?
Also, thank you for "reasonable human being" comment. My wife would beg to differ.

Attached Files

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

The attached image is the same area as your example. The lines are from ESRI's Major Highway data set.

Attached File  esrimajorhwy.png   99.41KB   84 downloads

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

ZOMG!
Be still my beating heart! I think that you have saved my sanity!
Oh wow...I will get access to the ESRI layers, and all my troubles will be over!

Do you have a tip jar? Would you put it on my tab?

:D

The attached image is the same area as your example. The lines are from ESRI's Major Highway data set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->