• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I would also peek at the attributes of the original data that you have - maybe you can query and eliminate things that way too.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Well, there's not much to the attributes...but yes, that would be a great idea!
My coworker was saying that if we could get data that had a directional attribute - we could delete the "extra" direction.

I would also peek at the attributes of the original data that you have - maybe you can query and eliminate things that way too.

Attached Files

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

What happens if you dissolve over the name attribute?
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Aw, man - you know what? [forehead smack]
I never THOUGHT of that! Let me give that a try...

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

***sigh***
Sadly, no.

Aw, man - you know what? [forehead smack]
I never THOUGHT of that! Let me give that a try...

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

*lightbulb moment*

Maybe FME can come to the rescue... Snapping and then dissolving the lines into a single one. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

FME? I'm not familiar with that, but I am intrigued...

*lightbulb moment*

Maybe FME can come to the rescue... Snapping and then dissolving the lines into a single one. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

Dissolve would be the first step - merging all the continous sections to one feature. Where there are two, you should then be able to see that there are two of each of the lines (in the attributes), and then be able to just turn one off.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

If the roads are the only features showing double & triple lines & if Illustrator is your final package simply don't worry about the line work & digitize new lines over them using the roads as a bitmap. On the other hand you could always release the raw data to other cartographers with no fee attached so others could simply solve the problem for you. BTW how about the rest of your data specifically line work appear?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

What lime symbol are you using for your highways in ArcGIS?

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Have you tried doing a blend between the adjacent lines in Illustrator? Use a step value of one to get a single line that is hopefully halfway between them (you can edit blend parameters after making a blend by accessing the Object-->Path-->Blend options submenu). You can then expand the blend and remove the original double lines by a subtle method that involves saving the original two lines as a named selection before doing the blend, then afterwards loading the named selection and deleting it, leaving the one new line.

erik

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Oh, sorry - I actually took two days off! :blink: Christmas shopping. Bleh.
Anyway...

Frax:

Dissolve would be the first step - merging all the continous sections to one feature. Where there are two, you should then be able to see that there are two of each of the lines (in the attributes), and then be able to just turn one off.

The attributes only show one...

Attached Files

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

When you say "digitize over them" do you mean using some tool in Illustrator? Or do you mean tracing over them with the pen tool by hand? To answer your question, yes - Ilustrator IS my final package.

I can't release the raw data. I work for a huge corporation, and there are miles of red tape around that. I wonder, too, if there is not some sort of agreement we signed with the data provider that would prohibit that. Good idea, though - that would be an excellent trade...

The only line data I have are the roads and highways - they ALL have the same problem. The polygon boundaries are a little bizarre, they come over with a zillion points. I just "simplify path" at about 90% until I like how it looks. (Not too smooth, not too many points.)

If the roads are the only features showing double & triple lines & if Illustrator is your final package simply don't worry about the line work & digitize new lines over them using the roads as a bitmap. On the other hand you could always release the raw data to other cartographers with no fee attached so others could simply solve the problem for you. BTW how about the rest of your data specifically line work appear?

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

It's a simple line symbol for all of them.

What lime symbol are you using for your highways in ArcGIS?

Attached Files

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I just tried that - I must be doing it wrong? I got a completely different result:

Have you tried doing a blend between the adjacent lines in Illustrator? Use a step value of one to get a single line that is hopefully halfway between them (you can edit blend parameters after making a blend by accessing the Object-->Path-->Blend options submenu). You can then expand the blend and remove the original double lines by a subtle method that involves saving the original two lines as a named selection before doing the blend, then afterwards loading the named selection and deleting it, leaving the one new line.

erik

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->