45 replies to this topic

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I am new at this, I am sorry to ask such an elementary question - but how can I get the highways and roads to export from ArcMap to Illustrator ONCE, instead of double and sometimes triple lines?

OR - once I get this into Illustrator - is there a command I can use to remove all the extra lines?

(Screenshot attached)

Attached Files

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

From the screenshot, it appears that your source data is modeling the physical roads in the road network, meaning you get a line for each "direction" of the highway when the highway is divided, plus lines for interchange connectors, etc.

If you just want to draw a simplified view of the road network ala an atlas, then you have a few options:

1. draw it yourself (using the original data as a guide)
2. find smaller-scale data that models the roads the way you want
3. generalize your source data in your GIS application so that the roads collapse together (this may be hard and may require manual clean-up of the result set)

Or you could just use the data as-is, now that you know why the lines are there. That would, of course, depend on the fnial scale of the map you are making and whether or not that much detail is important.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Yes, I believe you're right - I get a line for each direction.

Your solution #1, while tempting, is impossible for me. I simply don't have that kind of time.
I was hoping there would be a way to get Illustrator to find the roads, then - I don't know - "Trace" perhaps?
I think that if I can see where two roads need to be simplified, why can't the software?

Solution #2 sounds intriguing - can you elaborate?
Is this something I would ask the vendor that we buy layers from?

Solution #3 is something that my coworker is working on...if you have any specific tools I can suggest to her, I am all ears!

Thank you...

From the screenshot, it appears that your source data is modeling the physical roads in the road network, meaning you get a line for each "direction" of the highway when the highway is divided, plus lines for interchange connectors, etc.

If you just want to draw a simplified view of the road network ala an atlas, then you have a few options:

1. draw it yourself (using the original data as a guide)
2. find smaller-scale data that models the roads the way you want
3. generalize your source data in your GIS application so that the roads collapse together (this may be hard and may require manual clean-up of the result set)

Or you could just use the data as-is, now that you know why the lines are there. That would, of course, depend on the fnial scale of the map you are making and whether or not that much detail is important.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

What data are you using for roads? Have you looked at TigerLine / ESRI datasets?

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

It's whatever comes with ESRI.
I'm not certain - that is handled by the IT Department here.

What data are you using for roads? Have you looked at TigerLine / ESRI datasets?

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

I think that if I can see where two roads need to be simplified, why can't the software?

Something that is trivial for the human brain is not always trivial for a computer. That being said, I don't know Illustrator well enough to guess on its full capabilities.

Solution #2 sounds intriguing - can you elaborate?
Is this something I would ask the vendor that we buy layers from?

Possibly. Depending on your scale, the data may already be available for free from other sources. The U.S. National Atlas, for example, publishes US highways in a layer appropriate for 1:2,000,000 scale maps. Some states make their data available for 1:500,000 or even 1:100,000 scale use.

Solution #3 is something that my coworker is working on...if you have any specific tools I can suggest to her, I am all ears!

Manifold's "Normalize Topology" function can do it, if you have $245 to spend. I am not as familiar with ArcMap.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

What state or area, and what scale is the final map?

Many state DOTs have their own data sets available.

On the other hand, don't be so quick to discard the idea of tracing, as it will allow you to fix all sorts of problems. Redrawing every single freeway in a state like Colorado or Indiana or Alabama would take you less than 30 minutes.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

The whole country, sad to say.
As we speak I am doing maps for territories in California, New York, Arizona and Tennessee.
We have franchises in 48 states and Puerto Rico.

I am open to tracing, I am reluctant to do it by hand.
(And it's not just freeways - it's that plus US Highways, state highways and major roads.)

Or am I misunderstanding?
Do you mean using the pen tool?
I don't have the steadiest hand...

OR - is there a command in Illustrator that will trace an image for me?
The only trace that I see is the one that will trace a photo to make it a vector image.

On the other hand, don't be so quick to discard the idea of tracing, as it will allow you to fix all sorts of problems. Redrawing every single freeway in a state like Colorado or Indiana or Alabama would take you less than 30 minutes.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would seriously consider looking for an alternative source of data :) The National Atlas seems to be a very good place to start.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Thanks...I'll ask the IT people if I have that option.

I would seriously consider looking for an alternative source of data :) The National Atlas seems to be a very good place to start.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I'm with Dennis on this. I usually start with the drawing option, and if that looks unreasonable, then look at data manipulation. Often we overestimate the time it takes to draw, and underestimate the time it takes to look for the right dataset, add the updates, edit, export, etc etc...

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

The whole country, sad to say.
As we speak I am doing maps for territories in California, New York, Arizona and Tennessee.
We have franchises in 48 states and Puerto Rico.

I am open to tracing, I am reluctant to do it by hand.
(And it's not just freeways - it's that plus US Highways, state highways and major roads.)

Or am I misunderstanding?
Do you mean using the pen tool?
I don't have the steadiest hand...

OR - is there a command in Illustrator that will trace an image for me?
The only trace that I see is the one that will trace a photo to make it a vector image.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Well, right now - the roads are THERE, it is just up to me to change to an outline view and pick off the extra lines.
It's not so much the time (although that's part of it), it's that it is boring and tedious.

I was just hoping that someone would chime in with "Oh, yeah, that's the 'Simplify Roads Tool' in Illustrator and you can find it here".

I'm with Dennis on this. I usually start with the drawing option, and if that looks unreasonable, then look at data manipulation. Often we overestimate the time it takes to draw, and underestimate the time it takes to look for the right dataset, add the updates, edit, export, etc etc...

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Ah -- that's where we're different. To me, it's the GIS part that's "boring and tedious"! :rolleyes: While I'm drawing, I can listen to music or whatever!

In Illy, I assume there's a simplify line tool, as there is in FreeHand. I hardly ever go that route though. As cartographers often say, "You have to draw the line somewhere!" ;)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Well, right now - the roads are THERE, it is just up to me to change to an outline view and pick off the extra lines.
It's not so much the time (although that's part of it), it's that it is boring and tedious.

I was just hoping that someone would chime in with "Oh, yeah, that's the 'Simplify Roads Tool' in Illustrator and you can find it here".

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Aw, man - that is PRICELESS!
I'm going to hang that up on my bulletin board!
Thanks for that!

"You have to draw the line somewhere!" ;)

And yeah - I am developing what will perhaps become an unhealty relationship with my iPod.
***sigh***

Ah well - it can't ALL be car chases and explosions, now - can it?

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Glad you like. There was another one, years ago, that I believe was actually made into a bumper sticker by the Canadian Cartographic Association:

Cartographers "Rule" the World :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

Aw, man - that is PRICELESS!
I'm going to hang that up on my bulletin board!
Thanks for that!

"You have to draw the line somewhere!" ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->