7 replies to this topic

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Hi - remember me? I came here a while ago wanting information about moving maps from ArcMap to Adobe Illustrator?
Anyway - I've been a few months at this job now, and have some maps that I would love to get some input on, but they are HUGE!
Can any of you recommend a place I can post these things to, so you can see them and tell me how I'm doing?

Thanks,
Nonie

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

If you have access to Adobe Acrobat you can run the PDF file through its PDF optimizer to make PDF files that are of a reasonable size. I have used this process for the watershed posters at:

http://maps.lcra.org.....rshed Posters

Each of the posters are 48" x 36". Most of them compress to well under 20 megs. I set the raster settings in the optimizer to 150 dpi. I figure this is a good compromise for fast on screen viewing and adequate printing.

Rich

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Cool - I'll try it! Thanks!

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Hmmm - that is better, but the max size here is 2mb, I got my latest map down to 2.76mb.

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

If you've got multiple images in ArcGIS with transparency, I would recommend flattening them. We have instructions on Mapping Center:

http://mappingcenter...;effect=Flatten
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

No - these are all in Illustrator.
(Although they did start out in ArcMap.)

If you've got multiple images in ArcGIS with transparency, I would recommend flattening them. We have instructions on Mapping Center:

http://mappingcenter...;effect=Flatten

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

To get a quick and dirty bitmap snapshot of a screen - use the print screen button (prtsc) on your keyboard to get a screen dump, that you can crop in an image editing program/viewer - that would be fully usable for uploading to CartoTalk.

Otherwise - how about save for web from Illy?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I did that on another topic - "Highway Help" - because I couldn't think of another way to show the way my highways were symbolized in preview mode.

I think I solved the issue though - as it turns out, I was using the wrong setting when I was making my jpeg, so it was WAY huger than it needed to be! I have some examples over in the Map Gallery, if you want to see.

Thank you!

To get a quick and dirty bitmap snapshot of a screen - use the print screen button (prtsc) on your keyboard to get a screen dump, that you can crop in an image editing program/viewer - that would be fully usable for uploading to CartoTalk.

Otherwise - how about save for web from Illy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->