pramod

pramod

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello freinds

Maps.com have starated a new program where cartographer like us can sell our map.If someone have started to do this type of projects , can you suggest me how should I proceed.

thank you
pramod mishra

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Maps.com have starated a new program where cartographer like us can sell our map.If someone have started to do this type of projects , can you suggest me how should I proceed.

1: Make a map
2: Upload to maps.com
3: ???
4: Profit!

Or, in a not-so-simplistic way... Take a look at what's already on there and try to make a map that's not like any of the others. Make it special somehow. You've got to make people want to buy it.

It's not really a new program, it's been around for a while... I did upload one map, but it didn't sell (although to be honest, I find it difficult to produce a map when there's no outside client with a specific request to work for...)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Spain

I'd look closely at the terms of the agreement. Last I looked, I believe it was 30% for you, 70% for them. I realize they have the traffic (I often refer people to them) and handle the transaction and so on, but considering all the effort that goes into designing a map, that seems abusive to me in most cases (except maybe printed or wall maps).
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

pramod

pramod

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'd look closely at the terms of the agreement. Last I looked, I believe it was 30% for you, 70% for them. I realize they have the traffic (I often refer people to them) and handle the transaction and so on, but considering all the effort that goes into designing a map, that seems abusive to me in most cases (except maybe printed or wall maps).

Thanks for reply.But have you submitted your design to them? And any earning from them.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If you don't have any other way to sell your maps then 30% might not be so bad.

Pramod,
You should just design a map and give it a try. Why not? They also have a freelance program. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure we have a few forum members who have.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Even if you don't make alot of money from this aspect of maps.com other freelancers will notice your work & that's the key to get your foot in the door. I'm thinking about producing a map of the Minas Basin area, where the highest tides have been recorded.
"Abbas of novus versus"

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Spain

It's true that 30% and exposure is better than no sales and no exposure -- I'm just annoyed with seems to me to be an unfavorable cut. But that's a gut reaction: I don't know what the going rates and percentages are on other sites. If someone was ambitious enough, there might be a niche for a web store in this area...

I've never submitted anything to Maps.com but I have been a part of their affiliate program for some time and I get a small check every few months. I focus mostly on small digital maps for websites, and I regularly recommend customers to visit their site when I can't adequately meet their needs (such as wall, zip code, or street-level maps). That gets me to thinking -- if anyone would like me to send customers their way, don't hesitate to send me a message with a link to your site and the kinds of maps you specialize in.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

I think a 30% cut is reasonable, considering maps.com handles the printing, laminating, order fulfillment, marketing, and customer service.

pramod

pramod

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

thanks to every body for there view points regarding maps.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->