4 replies to this topic

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Thanks for the answers chaps. I am considering getting the soft as I'll need it mainly for some reprojection tasks. Though it seems to be even more tempting since you metioned it does the job with the ecws as well. Plus pound to usdollar 'discount'. I think I made my mind already :)

Cheers
Dom

Ps. It might be another topic so if one feels like moving it, please do. Dou you know, are aware of, or perhaps use, any good software for creating 3d scenes using geographic data? I might be involved in road network sign management in a while, and one of the 'dreams' my potential customer has is a fly-through along a given road. And while it's relatively easy to accpomlish that task, it gets much more difficult when trying to show the actual road signs in a proper scale in relation to the 'real' world objects. Manifold has a good 3d engine, though it doesn't support customized 3d symbols the way I would like it to. Any suggestions in this area?
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Ps. It might be another topic so if one feels like moving it, please do. Dou you know, are aware of, or perhaps use, any good software for creating 3d scenes using geographic data? I might be involved in road network sign management in a while, and one of the 'dreams' my potential customer has is a fly-through along a given road. And while it's relatively easy to accpomlish that task, it gets much more difficult when trying to show the actual road signs in a proper scale in relation to the 'real' world objects. Manifold has a good 3d engine, though it doesn't support customized 3d symbols the way I would like it to. Any suggestions in this area?

Split this off into a new topic.

I personally use VNS by 3D Nature. It's got a pretty wide range of capabilities and I mainly use it for carto renders (shaded relief), but it's really meant for any kind of 3D terrain visualisation, both static images, animations and, through an add-on, realtime 3D environments. There's a gallery at 3DNWorld.com with a lot of user-created samples.

Another thing to check out is VTP. The Scene Express add-on for VNS can export to VTP as well.

You'd need additional software to model the road signs (the paid version of Sketchup, for example) and then place them at the correct locations in your scene.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Why not PCI? I produced a flythrough of Cape Blomidon using a 1:10000 aerial photograph & a small AML script for elevation data.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Google Earth Pro might be another option
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

stroeh

stroeh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts