• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MappyB

MappyB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Map Maker by day, and Wine Drinker, Canoe Paddler, 5k Trotter, Recipe Creator, Road Tripper, Google Lover, and Bocce Baller by Night.
  • United States

Good morning,
I just thought I would ask this question here before searching online, so apologies in advance for not doing my own research...

Are there any schools/universities/colleges that offer online courses/degrees in Cartography? I am graduating with a B.A. in Geography/Minor in GIS in May and I would like to pursue Cartography, however will be unable to relocate for Grad school.

Just curious - thanks!
Brandi
"It's risky to travel into the unknown; you don't know what you'll find.
But it's equally risky to dream, and not dive in." Robert Perkins [Limpopo River Documentary]

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Brandi,
There are some good online GIS programs, but I'm not sure if any are carto specific. Since you already have a degree in Geography and a background in GIS, you should consider graphic design/fine art/digital media/ instead. Just my opinion. I think in the long-run you'd turn out to be a much better cartographer. Courses in business marketing and advertising would be beneficial as well. Ask Derek about this track!

MappyB

MappyB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Map Maker by day, and Wine Drinker, Canoe Paddler, 5k Trotter, Recipe Creator, Road Tripper, Google Lover, and Bocce Baller by Night.
  • United States

Thanks Erin, I appreciate it. I've thought about taking some courses in Illustrator specifically, because, like you said, I already have the Geography background, and I have six years experience working with GIS - I just want to finally start getting back in to cartography. I will have to look in to it, and check with your source!
"It's risky to travel into the unknown; you don't know what you'll find.
But it's equally risky to dream, and not dive in." Robert Perkins [Limpopo River Documentary]

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Take a look at the online Masters in GIS at Penn State.

http://www.worldcamp...sterinGIS.shtml

Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I don't think there are any schools that offer a graduate program in Cartography. There are three online-only Master's programs offered in the US:

Northwest Missouri State University: Offers an online thesis-based MS-GIS (which I graduated from)

The Pennsylvania State University: Offers a project-oriented Masters of GIS.

University of Colorado at Denver: Offers a project-oriented Masters of Engineering in GIS through their civil engineering department.

The program I undertook at NWMSU only offered one course in cartography and it was theory-oriented, not technique oriented. The program has an academic focus and being thesis-based, allows you to teach at the community-college level or continue to the PhD (which I'm doing). Among the faculty at NWMSU, no one focuses on Cartography - mostly GIS.

The PennState program is actually headed by David DiBiase and I know Cindy Brewer teaches and advises students in the program. They are both more focused on Cartography than anyone at NWMSU.

CU-Denver's program is taught in Civil Engineering and focuses much more on GISystems implementation.

There's also a good list here:

http://www.worldwide...ion-systems.htm

If what you want is "how to make maps in Illy", then you really don't want an academic Master's program. A certificate program might be better but you'll probably find that it's not as focused on technique as you might want.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Brandi,

I with Erin on his suggestions. You have the background to make good maps... all you need is some 'graphic' experience. May I also suggest ... Cartotalk. Post some of your work here and let the provided comments help you acquire experience.

Best of luck.
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I with Erin on his suggestions. You have the background to make good maps... all you need is some 'graphic' experience. May I also suggest ... Cartotalk. Post some of your work here and let the provided comments help you acquire experience.

We don't give out titles or diploma's though... ;)

But yeah, as Jacques and Erin are pointing out, this is certainly a very good way to go. Add in some courses specific to the software you want to use (Illustrator I guess) and you're set.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other "ing's")
  • United States

In agreement with the others here. I learned far more useful tips for Illy in Graphic Design courses, things that my Cart profs didn't realize that the program could even do. With your GIS experience, you are already have the skills for working with the base data, now its just a matter of exporting and cleaning it up. And as I am in the job market "rat race' now, employers seem to credit Graphic Design classes more, even if they are looking for someone to make a map. :rolleyes:

Just some thoughts
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

haris179

haris179

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Pakistan

thats really good man! i also want to take admission in MS GIS. if u can help me out cuz i cant leave my job and if it is online i mean MS GIS is online then it will be awesome. waiting for your reply nxeously

I don't think there are any schools that offer a graduate program in Cartography. There are three online-only Master's programs offered in the US:

Northwest Missouri State University: Offers an online thesis-based MS-GIS (which I graduated from)

The Pennsylvania State University: Offers a project-oriented Masters of GIS.

University of Colorado at Denver: Offers a project-oriented Masters of Engineering in GIS through their civil engineering department.

The program I undertook at NWMSU only offered one course in cartography and it was theory-oriented, not technique oriented. The program has an academic focus and being thesis-based, allows you to teach at the community-college level or continue to the PhD (which I'm doing). Among the faculty at NWMSU, no one focuses on Cartography - mostly GIS.

The PennState program is actually headed by David DiBiase and I know Cindy Brewer teaches and advises students in the program. They are both more focused on Cartography than anyone at NWMSU.

CU-Denver's program is taught in Civil Engineering and focuses much more on GISystems implementation.

There's also a good list here:

http://www.worldwide...ion-systems.htm

If what you want is "how to make maps in Illy", then you really don't want an academic Master's program. A certificate program might be better but you'll probably find that it's not as focused on technique as you might want.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

We don't give out titles or diploma's though... ;)

Can't this can be arranged—I'm pretty sure there are some less reputable places to have a piece of paper from… :)

Seriously though 6 years is quite a lot of GIS experience so I would say go down the Graphic Design route. There are different programs out there but I would point anyone new down the Adobe route as they have the market share and their apps intergrate well.

As for the GIS you still always have more to learn but I've spoken to people who did GIS at university and say they learnt more in 6 months in the workforce than the three years they used it at university. I think the key to Carto with GIS is using it in a very broad range of applications—work out what it can do and what is the best way to tackle differnt problems. The ESRI Mapping Centre is full of good topics and ESRI also have various online courses which your probably know about—again no degree or diploma but I don't think they count for much (though I realise a lot of people and employers probably do)

Good luck and hope to see some of your work up here soon.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->