ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Howdy all,
I've created a custom legend in Illustrator that I need to place in an Arcmap template. Before I started working in Illustrator, I created a graphic in my template at the size I wanted the legend to be. I then copied the graphic to the clip-board and pasted it in Illustrator using it as a size guide. I'm guessing this is where I went wrong. Now, however, when I import my Illustrator legend back into the Arcmap layout, the size of legend varies depending on the resolution of the file. I've also copied the Illustrator file to the clip-board and pasted it in as a WMF (I think this is the default?)

Anyways, I was thinking that a work-around might be to export an image from Illy at a high-resolution and then resize the image in Arcmap, but I would prefer to bring the image in at it's correct size using the correct method. I hate band-aids. It would great if someone can help me understand what's going on here and what I should do different. Erin

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

It looks like if I export the file as an .EMF from Illustrator and then insert that file into my template I can resize without losing any quality since it's a vector.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

It looks like if I export the file as an .EMF from Illustrator and then insert that file into my template I can resize without losing any quality since it's a vector.

Yeah, emf is usually the best choice for inserted pictures if the original is vector. It's often a good choice even for small rasters, for example, for use as marker symbols, in that performance is often better.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->