3 replies to this topic

blackant

blackant

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • New Zealand

Hello All,

I am a freelance cartographer working out of Auckland NZ. I produce maps for books/publications and do if a bit of GIS work (if I have to).

I am mac based, but use windows (again, if I have to) via parallels virtualisation software.

I am glad that I stumbled across this list, as it looks like a great resource! There are not many cartographers in NZ, mainly because it is not taught at any tertiary institutions here.

Thanks,

Tim Nolan

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Tim—I'm also from NZ, based in Wellington at Terralink but also bits of freelance work as well.

How did you get into the Cartography game? I started right at the end of the DoSLI era as a trainee Cartographer when I left high school. 6 months later they split to Terralink/LINZ and I hung around for a year or so before leaving and doing art dept work in the film/TV/stage industry and coming back to the newly privitised Terralink 6 years ago...

Nice to have another Kiwi here—it's a great site.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

blackant

blackant

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Sam!

I got into the carto game on the back of the Historical Atlas of NZ project in the mid 90s, working in the little known ChCh branch with Russell Kirkpatrick. Since then I have worked for a couple of Unis (Canterbury & Auckland), and this year made a break on my own! It has been a good move, because the Unis seem to be undergoing constant restructuring & downsizing.

It is funny because earlier in the week I came across your excellent Brainland Topo map, and think it is brilliant! If I didn't know better I would think it was a little know island in Fiordland somewhere!! I like the topo shading on it also, that is well done.

Good to hear from you!

Cheers,

Tim Nolan

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Really—It was in 96 when Phil, Tony and Malcom the were doing the Historical/Hysterical Atlas just across from me when I began at DoSLI and I was looking at a graphics job with Phil Carthew at GNS recently but decided to stay at TIL.

Thanks for the comments on the Brain Map—funny you mention Fiordland—the four islands in the North West are actually taken from Fiordland area I think from memory (the others are Somes and Ward Island from Wellington in the South and Mana Island in the North East)
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->