Photo

Simple way to crop raster in Illustrator?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hey all,

I was just asked if there was a simple way to crop a jpg in Illustrator. My response was "no, just use Photoshop...", but in hindsight I'm curious if I may have mislead my coworker. Since I still consider myself a novice at Illustrotor, I'm reaching out to all of you Illustrator wizards in the hopes that you may have better reply. It just seems odd that such a saavy program as Illustrotor wouldn't have a "crop" option. Even when I know that Illustrator is primarily for vector, while Photoshop is for raster data.

Anyway, I hope all of you are healthy and happy little mappers!

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hey all,

I was just asked if there was a simple way to crop a jpg in Illustrator. My response was "no, just use Photoshop...", but in hindsight I'm curious if I may have mislead my coworker. Since I still consider myself a novice at Illustrotor, I'm reaching out to all of you Illustrator wizards in the hopes that you may have better reply. It just seems odd that such a saavy program as Illustrotor wouldn't have a "crop" option. Even when I know that Illustrator is primarily for vector, while Photoshop is for raster data.

Anyway, I hope all of you are healthy and happy little mappers!

analisa

Analisa,
Illustrator does have a crop option. Object menu: Crop Make:. Of course it doesn't instantly crop the image like in Photoshop, but it does crop on export. CS3 allows for multiple crops. You can also achieve a crop per se by using a clipping mask. I actually prefer a clipping a mask because you don't alter the image. You just change the portion of the image that is visible.

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other "ing's")
  • United States

I always link all rasters in Illy using the "place" option so I have access to all the editing tools in PS. It is especially handy to make color and levels adjustments after you already have alot of vector work done, and realigning would be a pain.
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

If you need to crop an image within an Illustrator layout/design, you can use an "Make Opacity Mask" within the Transparency palette.

Create a shape or box the size you want your cropped image to be with the color white, place it over the image, select both and click the little flyout buton on the transparency palette, and choolse 'Make Opacity Mask.' Within that transparency palette, you can unlink/link the two, and adjust each part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->