eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

I know I've seen a few Aussie flags in the forum before, so I was wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction towards some GIS data for Australia.
I'm specifically looking for georeferenced 1:50k topo sheets, but sources of other 1:50k data would be very welcome too.

Thanks very much!

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi,

Any particular part of Australia???? You can try Geosciences Australia for some free data, unfortunately here we don't have alot of the more useful data avaliable for free but every now and then you find some good stuff in there. Geosciences Australia Link.

You can try some of the state lands websites NSW lands, NSW lands website they have a good little viewer call SIX viewer where you can view the current 1:25,000 state topo and 1:50,000 in some areas (also you can purchase these). I'm not going to list them all but there are similar lands websites for each state, a google search of state name and lands will turn up results.

Maybe a bit more info into what you are needing could help us a little.

Andrew

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Sure. The first area is southwest of Adelaide, around Lake Alexandria. The second area crosses the New South Wales/Victoria border between Shepparton and Deniliquin. Sorry I didn't post the locations earlier, but I had to do some sleuthing to figure out where the areas are actually located.

I've looked at the Geosciences Australia website, and downloaded some of their 250k data (I like how it's available in geodatabases!). I've also had very quick responses to a few emails I've sent, and it appears that both the 50k vector data and the 100k raster topo is for sale. My current question: is there any 100k raster or vector data available for free? I'd also settle for larger scale data ;)

Thanks very much for your help Andrew!

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hello again,

Yeah the 250k data GA makes avaliable is quite handy, I know they also made avaliable the 100k data for the Canberra/ACT region as we downloaded it. However I am not sure if this data was avaliable for other places.

Sorry previously I took the assumption (you know what they say about assuming!!) that you were after only free data. There is a mob here called PSMA they provide the Australian data for Google maps or so I understand from the disclamer on the Google maps Australia site. They provide it through resellers which means you have to follow a few links off of the site but you get there in the end.

You can also swing by the Australian Spatial Data Directory if you like, which is a Spatial Metadata search engine. Here you can find the data custodians and get in contact with them in regards to their datasets, some are free and some will require your first born child.

One more site for some Victorian information around Shepparton-Mooroopna to visit is the Victorian Lands Department. Look for an link called "VicMap data" good for a little more research.

Hope they help. I would definitley look into the PSMA data as a comparison to GA's 100k and 50k sheets, my understanding is that the resellers can distribute subsets of the vector data you are after. The data they provide is listed on their site as well.

Good Luck!
Andrew

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

If the stuff on Google is good enough, you can download and mosaic what you want with Manifold, and some public image server modules. Let me know if that would be useful.

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Thanks very much to both of you for your replies!

mdsummer, I'm planning on using the data to georeference and digitize some scanned maps... so ideally I'd like to have the original datasets (if only I knew what they were - *sigh*). While I think it would be great to have the google information for the maps I'll produce with the digitized information, I'm not sure it's worth the price of Manifold. Very interesting suggestion, though - I didn't know Manifold had that capability.

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

The downloads from Manifold will be perfectly georeferenced, if that's what you're worried about. I'm happy to do it for you and provide it.

The only limitation is the quality of the imagery you see on GE and whether that is good enough for you. There's no way around people locking up data, but to get it any way we can. I'm all for it.

Hermawan US

Hermawan US

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:GIS, Cartography, Statistics
  • Indonesia

Hi,

I know I've seen a few Aussie flags in the forum before, so I was wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction towards some GIS data for Australia.
I'm specifically looking for georeferenced 1:50k topo sheets, but sources of other 1:50k data would be very welcome too.

Thanks very much!

Helo Eli

I'am from Indonesia,

Please tell me, where is at Australia data that you need. I have part of Australia data that now I digitize/create from many source such (AMS map, Google, SRTM for contour) and many source.

You can see my blog at hsadik.multiply.com

Hermawan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->