Photo

Any map publishers / mapping agencies in the Sacramento, CA area?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

artinmaps

artinmaps

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

My life is taking me to Sacramento, CA. Does anyone know of any map publishers or mapping agencies in the greater metropolitan area? Or a company listings site through which I can look for such companies?

I'm a recent college grad trying to get my foot in the door.. anyone with knowledge of the area or suggestions of places to look, I'd greatly appreciate input/advice!

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

My life is taking me to Sacramento, CA. Does anyone know of any map publishers or mapping agencies in the greater metropolitan area? Or a company listings site through which I can look for such companies?

I'm a recent college grad trying to get my foot in the door.. anyone with knowledge of the area or suggestions of places to look, I'd greatly appreciate input/advice!

I don't know any business specifically in Sacramento. Compass Maps is located is Modesto (about 75 miles south of Sacramento). One thing Sacramento has a lot of is environmental firms. You might look for a firms in that industry also. Many are looking for "GIS" folks, but in reality they need people who can make maps that communicate to the general populace. It was a twist in my career but a good one. Though I get stuck having to do really boring maps a lot, they pay their bills and it is a strongly growing industry.

Just take your time and shop around til you find a place that "feels" comfortable. Many times they really don't know what they need. -Tom

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

I know that GreenInfo Network was just recently looking for a GISer/cartographer. IMO they produce some of the finest cartographic products for the public interest/non-profit sector. They are based in San Francisco (80 miles away) and may be asking for more experience, but if you have the skill set, you may get their consideration. Happy hunting...

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

If you are heavy in the GIS side there are certainly a number of the state agencies based in Sacto that may have openings.

You might want to post just a little about your background (classes, emphasis, where) to help give some of the viewers some hints.
Rick Dey

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I don't know any business specifically in Sacramento. Compass Maps is located is Modesto (about 75 miles south of Sacramento). One thing Sacramento has a lot of is environmental firms. You might look for a firms in that industry also. Many are looking for "GIS" folks, but in reality they need people who can make maps that communicate to the general populace. It was a twist in my career but a good one. Though I get stuck having to do really boring maps a lot, they pay their bills and it is a strongly growing industry.

Just take your time and shop around til you find a place that "feels" comfortable. Many times they really don't know what they need. -Tom

If you can't get your foot in the door try freelancing. I graduated 3 1/2 years ago & only now am I getting somewhere thanks to the suggestions from the members of this site.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->