• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I'm hoping to get down to Chicago in January. Here's the main Festival of Maps site. Pretty nice design.

Here's the really odd thing that strikes me about the Festival... where are the cartographers? Lots of map history, a bunch of map artists, a lot of "maps can be more than navigational tools," but, erm, where are the maps as navigation tools, outside of the Field Museum show.

And given Rand McNally's sponsorship of the Festival, I find it interesting that there is no mention of cartography as a living tradition. It's as if RM is the only one making maps in America these days...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Picturing a Tour Guide in a hushed voice:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, here is an actual cartographer in its native habitat! Please do not throw any food, and please keep your hands away from the exhibit."

I'm hoping to get down to Chicago in January. Here's the main Festival of Maps site. Pretty nice design.

Here's the really odd thing that strikes me about the Festival... where are the cartographers? Lots of map history, a bunch of map artists, a lot of "maps can be more than navigational tools," but, erm, where are the maps as navigation tools, outside of the Field Museum show.

And given Rand McNally's sponsorship of the Festival, I find it interesting that there is no mention of cartography as a living tradition. It's as if RM is the only one making maps in America these days...

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

"Ladies and Gentlemen, here is an actual cartographer in its native habitat! Please do not throw any food, and please keep your hands away from the exhibit."

I would imagine something more along the lines of Steve Irwin (eh... if he were still alive, he'd probabely start wrestling us) or David Attenborough
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

"Crikey! Isn't he a beaut? This little guy is very aggro! I'llhave to get me mates to hold him so we can get the lead rope on 'im. Crikey! Little bugger almost got me!"

I would imagine something more along the lines of Steve Irwin (eh... if he were still alive, he'd probabely start wrestling us) or David Attenborough

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Would love to check it all out.

And hats off to the team who put that site together. Very enjoyable. I wonder if it is PDA/phone compatible.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Precisely because it seemed to me that the Festival was treating maps as artifact and as metaphor--everything but actual, working tools, I am working with the Chicago Cultural Center on a series of four lectures in late winter:

Mapping today. The basic concepts of mapping haven't changed since the time of Ptolemy, but the tools have. Aerial photography, GPS satellites, and computers and Internet tools such as Google Maps make it easier than ever for professionals to make accurate maps, for travelers to navigate farflung places, and for ordinary folks to produce their own maps of obscure or overlooked topics.

This series of four lectures looks at the challenges and the fun of mapmaking today:
  • Feb. 6 Adrian Holovaty of everyblock.com, discussing Google Maps mashups and hyperlocal mapping.
  • Feb. 20 Christine Bosacki of Nystrom, discussing maps and globes in the classroom
  • Mar. 12 Peter Haas of Center for Neighborhood Technology, discussing geographic information systems and how they can aid community groups.
  • Mar. 26 Dennis McClendon of Chicago CartoGraphics, discussing the challenges of making and checking ordinary street maps.

I also will be putting together an exhibit telling Chicago history stories through portions of older maps (that happen to be in my collection). That will also be a website, so you can all visit that exhibit.

There's also an online exhibit of maps that inform the public about social and planning issues, which should interest many of you.
Maps in the Public Square
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Precisely because it seemed to me that the Festival was treating maps as artifact and as metaphor--everything but actual, working tools, I am working with the Chicago Cultural Center on a series of four lectures in late winter

I also will be putting together an exhibit telling Chicago history stories through portions of older maps (that happen to be in my collection). That will also be a website, so you can all visit that exhibit.

There's also an online exhibit of maps that inform the public about social and planning issues, which should interest many of you.
Maps in the Public Square

Yay Dennis! Way to go!

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

maphead.blogspot.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've just posted a three-part review of what I saw of the Festival of Maps (Chicago edition) on my blog.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->