burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

I have an RGB image that I need to do some editing on in Photoshop. I also have an outline polygon layer that I want to use as a clip mask. How do I go about exporting a shape file from Arc into Photoshop and then creating a clip mask from that?

Thanks in advance
Bruce

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

off the top of my head, if you export your polygon as a solid color from ArcMap, make it a high resolution TIFF or BMP (360dpi should do). Then bring that image into Photoshop and use the Magic Wand Tool with Tolerance set at 0 (zero) to select the places where you want to create your clip mask. this will probably work, assuming your polygon is clean and not too complex.

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

If you can export it out as a tif with an alpha channel, that would be ideal.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

As usual we have multiple ways to achieve this. Here is how I would go about it:

Export as PDF then open in photoshop at appropriate resolution (or place as a smart object for more flexibility) then you get a transparency.

From there you can ctrl-click the layer and that creates a selection which takes into account the anti-aliasing. Is a more accurate and nicer way in my opinion than the magic wand.

Or if you have a flat tif you could paste that into the mask channel of a solid colour layer and adjust levels to black/white and you have the same effect.

Hopefully thats enough to point you in the right direction—if you want mare detailed info I'm happy to expand.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->