Photo

Multi-TouchTable --- Portends the future of how we will map and interact with spatial data...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

I've been waiting for this technology to finally come into the light. I saw a video clip a couple of years ago that showed the inventor wowing a crowd of tech geeks by interacting with the computer by solely using a mult-touch table at a new technology conference (can't for the life of me remember which conference or where that footage went).

Check it out:

http://www.pbs.org/k...touchtable.html

once the price drops (right now they cost around $54k u.s. dollars), we all may be either using or lusting after one of these... :lol:
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

since when do we have to wait for the price to drop before we can begin lusting after cool new toys? :P

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

In the past there were some discussions about a video from the TED conference in 2006 of a talk by Jeff Han

The other one to check out is Microsoft Surface
Rick Dey

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I've seen several of these multitouch tables at the ESRI User Conference. Very cool... but very expensive!

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

Given that every table I've ever seen has a tendency to accumulate piles of paper, books, coffee mugs and loose change, I think that this might end up being a very expensive clutter magnet. :)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Clearly the tablet/table gesture-UI is maturing, and there will be some great products that emerge. Interacting geospatially is sure to be a big hit.

Instead of using an expensive touchscreen like the table, there are other options like projecting an image and interacting with the imagery.

Given the multi-touch patents Apple is producing - I would guess that they are working on a portable screen larger than the iPhone, which I assume will eventually scale into something like Microsoft's Big A$$ Table.

Wake me up in a few years.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Given that every table I've ever seen has a tendency to accumulate piles of paper, books, coffee mugs and loose change, I think that this might end up being a very expensive clutter magnet. :)

Good point. I hope it's spill-proof! :P
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->