• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

Well I now have personal experience with Parallels and Fusion 1.1.

I am glad to see you went with Fusion. The only problem I've run into on filesharing between OS's is how to get Fusion's drive share of any Mac folder not to have spaces in it. Seems like a stone age limitation, but some PC apps don't like those spaces. So for those apps I save to C: and drag the files over to the share manually.

erik

What apps do you run?
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Small update:

I'm happy to report that Global Mapper runs without a hitch in Vista/VMWare, Illustrator and MAPublisher run natively of course. Haven't tried Manifold in Vista/VMWare yet, but I have heard reports that it works. I'd like to go all out with the 64-bit version of course, also have Vista in 64-bit.

FME works fine too, but not with my hardware locked license (drivers for the dongle don't work, regular node locked licences are no problem).

GRASS would obviously be one of the things to try out on the Mac but... I can't get it to work... I always have issues like that with any Open Source software. It always seems to depend heavily on another bit of software, which is nowhere to be found and all links are dead. Why can't it just work?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Why can't it just work?

Because that would be too easy! :D

Glad you got all of that working... it's intimidating updating to a new system and hoping that everything will work perfectly.

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Hmm, yes, I remember following that conversation. Have you had any more luck with open source software since then? I'm reluctant to purchase software since most of the mapping I do at home on the mac is the volunteer sort. Although, that geocoding option in manifold looks pretty nifty and would be quite handy... but I'd have to buy the MapPoint extension. I think I'd be more keen to try to some open source GIS on the map if I knew I'd be able to export to illy.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hmm, yes, I remember following that conversation. Have you had any more luck with open source software since then? I'm reluctant to purchase software since most of the mapping I do at home on the mac is the volunteer sort. Although, that geocoding option in manifold looks pretty nifty and would be quite handy... but I'd have to buy the MapPoint extension. I think I'd be more keen to try to some open source GIS on the map if I knew I'd be able to export to illy.

For the US, you'd be able to get by with the Manifold geocoding database. I never checked how that performs, but I have to tell you I wasn't terribly impressed with using MapPoint Europe as a geocoding engine. Maybe it was my input data, who knows?

There's a number of free geocoding services available. Well, 'free' with some restrictions, but unless you want to do huge amounts of addresses per day, you'll get by.

As for open source software, sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not. GRASS is something I haven't been able to get to work, not on MacOS, not on Ubuntu. Not really sure why, but I don't have the time to tinker with it (and I have plenty of other tools with which I can do my work, albeit through VMWare if I want to do so on a Mac).

Still, I would recommend Manifold and Global Mapper. Excellent products and very affordable.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->