34 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • United States

From what I have read and talked to ESRI support, ArcGIS installs fine through Parallels or VMware. Basic processing and functions work without any problems, but some users report that more demanding geoprocessing tasks cause performance to become sluggish. Another option is to run WindowsXP through Bootcamp. Users report that there are little to no problems in performance using this method. However, if you want to use Mac based Adobe CS3 to handle any exports from ArcGIS, then you will have to reboot and enter OSX, which can be a hassle if you like to switch back and forth between OSX and XP.

A bit off topic... well, maybe not? Is it feasible to run both Bootcamp (ie, XP native) and Fusion (XP in a shell) on the same machine? would you be able to utilize the same install of ArcGIS, or would you need two separate installations in order to access it from both environments? I could see where it would be beneficial to be able to boot to xp for the hardcore stuff, but use the Fusion-ed version for lighter duty tasks and convenience.

-Adam

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

A bit off topic... well, maybe not? Is it feasible to run both Bootcamp (ie, XP native) and Fusion (XP in a shell) on the same machine? would you be able to utilize the same install of ArcGIS, or would you need two separate installations in order to access it from both environments? I could see where it would be beneficial to be able to boot to xp for the hardcore stuff, but use the Fusion-ed version for lighter duty tasks and convenience.

Not off-topic at all :) Basically I'm just looking for as many user-stories and suggestions I can find. It'll help me, and probabely others as well, make up my mind as to where I want to go with this.

Mike,

Dual-booting, and rebooting to switch between OS'es isn't really going to be a problem, to be honest. I used to run BeOS, many years ago, so I'm kinda used to it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

From what I have read and talked to ESRI support, ArcGIS installs fine through Parallels or VMware. Basic processing and functions work without any problems, but some users report that more demanding geoprocessing tasks cause performance to become sluggish. Another option is to run WindowsXP through Bootcamp. Users report that there are little to no problems in performance using this method. However, if you want to use Mac based Adobe CS3 to handle any exports from ArcGIS, then you will have to reboot and enter OSX, which can be a hassle if you like to switch back and forth between OSX and XP.

-Adam

I found this through some searching: http://forums.parall...hread10346.html (post #6 has the most useful info).

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Hans,

I've been working with Illustrator and PS exclusively on a MAC for almost 6 months now after only dabbling when clients required it in the past. I worked with both FH (v.8 to MX) and Illustrator (v8 to CS2) on a PC up until then. I would describe myself as a bit of a power user and suspect we probably make use of our machines in similar way.

I can honestly say that I really miss working with my PC. This is despite 6 GB on RAM on a PowerPC G5 Dual 2.7 running 10.4.3. I loathe the machine and given the choice would not work on it. Don't drink the kool-aid.

You may have a different experience but this has been mine. I love my MAC powerbook for managing music at home but for working on all day I find a PC much more robust once you manage to protect it from all the virus and spyware out there.

mg

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I believe VMware Fusion supports running from a BootCamp partition, in which case you at least have a shot at only having one installation.

I thought this was a Mac advice note, not trolling bait (what's this Koolaid business you introduced?)

At at Neal Stephenson reading I went to, there was a general hue and cry for him to update his essay "In the Beginning was the Command Line" (http://www.killfile....ommandline.html). This was one of the funniest essays on the subject of operating systems that I've read. He admitted he needed to in light of OS X, which he uses, but it wasn't clear he was going to be doing this anytime soon.

erik

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

From the essay:

One of them (Be, Inc.) is selling fully operational Batmobiles (the BeOS). They are more beautiful and stylish even than the Euro-sedans, better designed, more technologically advanced, and at least as reliable as anything else on the market--and yet cheaper than the others.

:lol: Ah, the good old days... It's a real shame it never took off...
Red Geographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Well, it's been a while since this was last discussed, but I wanted to share with you all that I picked up my new laptop today: a MacBook Pro, 15" model with 4 Gb ram and a 7200 rpm 200 Gb hard drive... :D

Will be getting some other goodies (Adobe software) for it soon. Tried to get Vista to work on it through Parallels, no luck. Will try VMWare Fusion next.
Red Geographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Well, it's been a while since this was last discussed, but I wanted to share with you all that I picked up my new laptop today: a MacBook Pro, 15" model with 4 Gb ram and a 7200 rpm 200 Gb hard drive... :D

Will be getting some other goodies (Adobe software) for it soon. Tried to get Vista to work on it through Parallels, no luck. Will try VMWare Fusion next.

Have fun playing with your new toy... but don't spend all night on it, promise? :P

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Vista is working through VMWare Fusion, got FME and Global Mapper up and running already. Next I'll try Manifold. Also got Illy + MAPublisher and Photoshop for Mac installed and working just fine.

Yay :D
Red Geographics

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Vista is working through VMWare Fusion, got FME and Global Mapper up and running already. Next I'll try Manifold. Also got Illy + MAPublisher and Photoshop for Mac installed and working just fine.

Nice setup Hans! I've been looking at a Macbook Pro myself... for home use mainly. My PC is still running fine and I don't anticipate to change that, but I want something that I can with me on trips. is 4GB maximum? Vista is a resource hog, i dunno if that's enough! haha

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Nice setup Hans! I've been looking at a Macbook Pro myself... for home use mainly. My PC is still running fine and I don't anticipate to change that, but I want something that I can with me on trips. is 4GB maximum? Vista is a resource hog, i dunno if that's enough! haha

4 Gb is the max on the MacBooks at the moment. I've given Vista 2 Gb and 1 processor core to play with and so far that seems to work (but I haven't done any sort of heavy testing)
Red Geographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

4 Gb is the max on the MacBooks at the moment. I've given Vista 2 Gb and 1 processor core to play with and so far that seems to work (but I haven't done any sort of heavy testing)

I'll give you a review on my new system (my new company bought me a new computer): 2.0 Quad-Core with 4Gb RAM... should be nice :D :P

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

I am very interested in hearing how Manifold runs for you. I have been toying with the idea for some time to run it on my iMac. Don't want to buy it just to find it doesn't work.
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

I am very interested in hearing how Manifold runs for you. I have been toying with the idea for some time to run it on my iMac. Don't want to buy it just to find it doesn't work.

It'll be a short while before I get around to that. I'd like to run the 64-bit version, as I have Vista 64-bit installed. Turns out my existing Manifold license is only 32 bit.
Red Geographics

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Well I now have personal experience with Parallels and Fusion 1.1.

I am glad to see you went with Fusion. The only problem I've run into on filesharing between OS's is how to get Fusion's drive share of any Mac folder not to have spaces in it. Seems like a stone age limitation, but some PC apps don't like those spaces. So for those apps I save to C: and drag the files over to the share manually.

erik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->