BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hello all,

Looking to solicit comments on a map I am producing for the Inland Northwest Land Trust. I am into it quite a ways, but would like some comments before I proceed any further. There are a few things I am not comfortable with and would like to see if anyone else sees what I do, plus any other issues I am not seeing B) .

Thank you very much,
M.

Attached File  inlt.jpg   1.29MB   173 downloads

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hello all,

Looking to solicit comments on a map I am producing for the Inland Northwest Land Trust. I am into it quite a ways, but would like some comments before I proceed any further. There are a few things I am not comfortable with and would like to see if anyone else sees what I do, plus any other issues I am not seeing B) .

Thank you very much,
M.

Attached File  inlt.jpg   1.29MB   173 downloads

Hey Mike,
I don't have too much time here, but here are couple of quick responses:

1. I'm not comfortable with the locator globe on the left. I find it confusing.
2. Textually it's difficult to distinguish between feature types. Maybe serif-semi-bold city labels et cetera?
3. Is the text color on Lincoln county and Spokane county different than the other county lables?

Good work!

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I like the layout of the map with green forest on top and the brown field on the bottom. The vertical legend looks nice, might try that on some of my maps. The natural land cover has just the right colors. The white color for developed areas doesn't go well with this map. The globe showing Washington State is not the best with weird projection. I have driven through that area many times on my fishing trips out west and the terrain is gorgeous. I would bring out the hill shading little more to show the mountains up north. Watershed is almost none existent, with only lakes visible. I would also add highway shields to the roads.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Very nice map!

1. I'm not comfortable with the locator globe on the left. I find it confusing.

Roger that. Also, i have a difficult time decerning the green boundaries and text for the nat. parks/forests; have to strain to make it out. And maybe find a different design to include the information in the three boxes in the lr corner. As it is now it seems kinda out of place imo.

nice work.

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

A pleasing palette and a nice looking map. The landcover seems to convey well the shift that happens from forest to desert in that area.

I was wondering about the slight CCW rotation of the main map, particularly when comparing with the locator map which has the main area rotated slightly differently relative to the bottom edge. Was it done to better orient the map within the swooshy logo graphic?

I find the drop shadow so strong and the background map so faint that the connection between them is not clear.

Can the legend explain what the brown (in the desert area) is?

erik

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice start. I like the overall design. Here are my starter suggestions.

1. Locator map (NW centric view of earth?) was too much. Maybe try a standard locator box in same projection or fade edges and blend it in with background.
2. Hwy and mjr road labels
3. County lines became obscure over forested areas. Have you experimented with a white line, maybe with 60-80% transparency?
4. Dial in color ramp in legend to map better (legend shows 4 classes, map shows 5)
5. Have you tried text casings for labels? Some of the dark on dark labels are obscure (esp. county names and national forest names).
6. Are the poster's top/bottom color swaths part of the land trust's identify? Have you looked at colors that are not part of the map palette but are complimentary?

Great piece and am looking forward to seeing the final.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Good work. Agreeing with several other comments:

OK to have the locator map in a circle so it stands out as an inset; not OK to distort that so it looks global. Since that's a political map, the states can be unnatural colors, and don't need gray stroke. Seems more relevant to label Montana, which red area touches, than Oregon. Consider labeling British Columbia and Alberta instead of just CANADA. At least letterspace C A N A D A. And bathymetric tint in the Pacific is just confusing.

Rotation of main map is puzzling. Some central meridian/county line should be vertical; US/Canada border should be horizontal.

Setting up the classifications along a continuum is good if the data lies along a continuum. So pasture yellow should fade into grassland green seamlessly in both legend and map, not with a white gap in between. Otherwise, if it's four separate classifications, might be better to have four little boxes in the traditional manner. The checkerboard pattern south of Priest Lake makes me dubious of the data's accuracy; that's usually an indicator of ownership rather than actual vegetation.

Drop shadow separating area of interest from surrounding country is confusing, bringing to a different visual level something that is not. The saturation difference should be plenty.

County lines, as a manmade feature, could be thin white dashes, allowing them to be seen even in center of river. National forest lines could be thin yellow, along with their labels. Those should continue, with same or similar symbology, onto surrounding territory.

Add highway shields. Make the interstates thicker than the other highways. I would probably add selected state highways, so that places like Odessa aren't just stranded out in the middle of the Palouse.

Label the rivers. Lake Pend Oreille is misspelled (also in Little Pend Oreille NWR).

An area scale (a square representing 10,000 acres) would be useful.

I'm hoping to see some of this part of the country on my way to NACIS next October!
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Thanks fellers for the comments. You have, as expected, pointed out very important issues with this particular map and I thank you for your thoroughness and honesty. Some important advice I have gleaned from your comments:
  • The pseudo globe inset is a bad idea
  • The background and foreground contrast needs to be adjusted
  • The National forest boundaries and text are difficult to distinguish.
  • The land cover legend needs some serious work
  • Hillshading needs to be more prominent
  • I need to spell check (thank goodness its just a draft!)
  • County lines need work
I haven't touched the roads or rivers yet, but I will consider your suggestions when labeling and developing them.

The land cover data is from NLCD and the checkerboard patterns, believe it or not, symbolize clear cuts. Yup, that's the way they used to do it in the PNW, clear cut big squares of land so when you fly over in an airplane the forest looks like a giant quilt. Hopefully, the timber industry has changed its ways.

Thanks again and I hope to post the final map when it is complete,
Mike.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->