• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

amproehl

amproehl

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • No Country Selected

I recently joined Cartotalk as a new member. Love the site. I am an interface designer with a personal and somewhat artistic interest in maps. I design maps in my spare time and am very interested in getting feedback from the Cartotalk community. I have posted a selection of my maps on my blog. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts and comments.

http://mapaxis.blogspot.com/

thanks,

Andy

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi Andy,

Welcome, I like your blog site. I'm a fan of the "Block Island" map, very nice to look at, the colors of it are different (in a good way I mean) and I just instantly wanted to get a closer look at it.
I see you mentioned that you do these in your spare time, what are your ispirations?? I mean other than going on really cool looking adventure holidays!!

Andrew

amproehl

amproehl

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • No Country Selected

Andrew, thanks for your comment. In response...

I split my efforts between more traditional looking maps and more experimental type-only maps. I find the type only maps harder to do (at least harder to make interesting) but more in line with where I am trying to go. There are several themes I've been exploring,
-- the subjective / editorial nature of map and the map maker in choosing what to map
-- the politics of place... how places are named over time and who gets to name them (e.g the conquerer or the conquered)
-- the way maps exist as "documents" that are both viewed as image and read as text.

Andy

bruce

bruce

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Welcome Andy,

I took a very quick tour through your blog and I like your maps, especially Block Island and Fire Island. I added the blog to my bookmarks.

Bruce
Bruce Hensler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->