• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

amproehl

amproehl

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am a designer and make maps in my spare time and just posted them to a blog. I'm very interested in getting comments and feedback from other cartographers.

The link is,
http://mapaxis.blogspot.com/

Attached is a map I recently completed of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa.

thanks,

Andy

Attached Files

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

three quick points:

1. being a national park map, is their a park boundary to show?

2. the attempted relief shading on Kilimanjaro doesn't consider a light source, need to fix this.... looks like the old Imperial Japanese Navy flag...

3. the curvature on the bottom piece seems way overboard for the scale you are showing. I'd make it just every so slight off of straight if that's the look you are going for.

good luck,

Rob

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

2. the attempted relief shading on Kilimanjaro doesn't consider a light source, need to fix this.... looks like the old Imperial Japanese Navy flag...

I noticed that too :rolleyes: Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Is there a difference between the Moorland Zone and Alpine Desert Zone? Since the other 2 zones seem to be confined to colors, but these two share a color, it raises a question...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other "ing's")
  • United States

Nice Work. I agree with the other comments, but the relief shading on Shira Ridge seems to work. Just need to try that on the summit cone. The color sceme felt a little dark at first, but it grew on me. Overall, I really like your maps. On the map of the "Diomede Islands Dichotomy" it may be helpful to include "To Russia" and "To USA" on the island labels. Just a thought, Cheers
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

My gut response to the Kilimanjaro map would suggest to;

1) add a small locator map. For me, the country border in the upper right just doesn't give me a sense of place on such a large scale map.

2) overprint the roads. That electric red is too prominent and painful to look at and causes me to think that perhaps the roads are the most important features on the map.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I agree, the Shira ridge looks 3 dimensional (on the main map and in the profile view), but the 2 peaks look a bit flat.
I took the red lines to be trails and part of the point of the map. The onlt part that jars a little to me is the set of switchbacks going from Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak. Maybe that would look ok if you fixed the shading for the peak.

Otherwise it's a cool map. I like the title block and the border and the coloring (with the reservation about colors and vegetation zones).

Your other maps are also cool. I like the graphic style you put into them, the colors, and the cartouche/title blocks. Interesting bits in your blog.

Welcome to CartoTalk :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

amproehl

amproehl

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks for all the comments! Great feedback. Totally agree about the shading on the main peak. I struggled with it. It came out better on the Shira Ridge detail.

The red trail lines come off looking too bright on the digital image but look much more restrained on the paper prints I've made.

The curves on the mountain profile were taken from photos. The bottom yellowish curve is actually a foothill (not the curve of the Earth).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

My initial response was that the colors were too dark and drab - then after my eyes settled into the image - I really liked the different shades. Very rich and calming.

I would add to the good comments that the summit of "Kili" looked quite flat -you might try and integrate the snowfields with your depiction of elevation.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

I would second the call for a small locater map. Other than that, it may be better to have a scale, and have some more geographical features labeled, like a big old "Kibo" showing on top of the crater and some glacier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->