3 replies to this topic

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have seen the term 'street casing/road casing' in a number of posts. Am I right in thinking that casing means the outline stroke of a road?

Many thanks!

Ravs

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

DonnaG

DonnaG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • United States

Ravs,

That is correct.

I've enjoyed your maps and look forward to more. Welcome to the group!

Donna Genzmer

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I have seen the term 'street casing/road casing' in a number of posts. Am I right in thinking that casing means the outline stroke of a road?

Many thanks!

Ravs

Yup, that's Cartospeak (CartoTalk?) for the two lines that comprise a double line road. In illustration apps (FreeHand, Corel, Illustrator, etc.) we commonly create roads by drawing the casing as a wider line, then cloning it, sending the clone to a higher layer, and assigning it a narrower width and a different colour. The clone is usually referred to as a "fill". This approach bypasses any need to edit intersections. You can also create a triple line road with a third, fine line for a "median", if you're drawing freeways. Do you ever have freeways on fantasy maps? :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thank you, Donna & Charles!

Lol, no we generally don't have freeways in fantasy maps, but we do in Science Fiction maps (which we do as well)...in fact these days I read much more SF than Fantasy and am itching to make an SF map of a futuristic city. This will involve a lot more thought than a fantasy city since the observer has far more inherent references against which to measure the map. I expect that I'll be coming here for a lot of help when I'm doing the futuristic city map!

The method of 'casing' is one we use in fantasy maps as well - I used it in the 'Seven Dials' map. What is interesting is this, though. We have recently been discussing a map and pondering having 'cart tracks' in the road, and it has only just occurred to me that this can be done by overlaying a double line over the road - so not one median but two! I'm off to have a play with that!

All the best

Ravs

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->