• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hello beloved mappers,

anyone out there aware of a site that has 25m dem data for B.C. available for free? the only hillshade that i've found thus far is so coarse that my map is looking more like a checker board than anything else.

thanks in advance!!!

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I've seen conflicting info as to whether SRTM collected higher res. 30m data for the entire world but it has been released only for the US. Personally I would bet it exists, but has not been released.

http://en.wikipedia....ography_Mission

erik

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've seen conflicting info as to whether SRTM collected higher res. 30m data for the entire world but it has been released only for the US. Personally I would bet it exists, but has not been released.

I agree. I seem to recall reading something to this effect.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Geobase has DEM data at scales of 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 for BC and most of the rest of the country. See product specs and download page. There is also other topographic data available for free from Geogratis. Look for CanVec or NTDB on the list.

The BC government has 25 m resolution DEMs but sells it for $500 a tile. The provincial government also has some topographic data available for download.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

If you don't mind ready-made shaded relief imagery, already projected, and at two different sun angles, you can get them for free here: ftp://ftp.elp.gov.bc.ca/dist/imgwhse/hilshd/
The challenge is to figure out which tiles you need. But hey, it's free!

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Thank you all so much for your replies. For those of you hungry for affordable British Columbia data, you can download a zipped spreadsheet that i made containing the best sites (for my particular needs) that I found for data.

ftp://ftp.ecotrust.org/pub/outgoing/even_months/BC_datalist

FYI: if you don't have any money for DEM data, than you'll need to Geobase, a fantastic site with great navigation options for finding the DEM quads that you need. However, you'll need to do all the mosaicing yourself depending on your area of interest.

With a little luck, you'll be seeing some of this data showcased on a map...

Thanks again!

analisa
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

With a little luck, you'll be seeing some of this data showcased on a map...

Would love to see that of course :)

I'll try and add those links to our Resources section, it looks like it could do with an upgrade...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

For those of you hungry for affordable British Columbia data, you can download a zipped spreadsheet that i made containing the best sites (for my particular needs) that I found for data.

The link opens up an ftp site in my web browser with a link to the spreadsheet you mention. I can download the file but when I try to open it, nothing seems to be there.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

For those of you hungry for affordable British Columbia data, you can download a zipped spreadsheet that i made containing the best sites (for my particular needs) that I found for data.

The link opens up an ftp site in my web browser with a link to the spreadsheet you mention. I can download the file but when I try to open it, nothing seems to be there.

Same here. Nothing. Being located in BC, I'm particularly interested in this information! :rolleyes: Can you please re-post? Thanks!

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

:blink:

Sorry everybody! I lost track of this thread and had no idea that the zip file went capoot on me (not sure why) :huh:

Anyway, I just re-uploaded both the excel file and a new zipped version of it to the same spot.

ftp://ftp.ecotrust.org/pub/outgoing/even_months/BC_datalist/

Please don't ever hesitate to send me a personal "what-the-heck?" message if you ever need to get my immediate attention. Which you just may need to, considering that my I.T. team is convinced that I have a "bionic force field" which causes technological devices to do quirky things around me... :rolleyes:

analisa
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Thanks analisa - looks promising.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello everyone,

I've received a few emails from folks that were trying to download the excel spreadsheet. Due to an automated folder clean, that data is no longer available. I re-uploaded the excel spreadsheet to our ftp site (ftp://ftp.ecotrust.org/pub/outgoing/odd_months/BC_datalist) but it will only be available until the end of March. I am also attaching a pdf of the table to this post.

Hope this helps,

analisa

Attached Files

Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->