jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Web-Based Mapping, Mapping in Art & New Media
  • United States

Hi all,

I'm interested in locating a service that offers updated GIS/Geographic Data data depicting streets, rails, hydrology and landmarks at a scale that would be ideal for depicting individual neighborhoods and local businesses and landmarks. I'm estimating somewhere between 1:10000 and 1:30000 in scale.

I know that the Ordinance Survey has some options but I'm finding the scale to be either too large 1:1250 and information rich(Integrated Transportation Network (ITN)) or too small 1:50000(Meridian 2) for my purposes. Does anyone know any good alternatives for GIS/Geographic Data either within the Survey or outside of them?

Thanks so much for your help, Jonathan

eli

eli

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Canada

Does OSM meet your needs?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

I know that the Ordinance Survey has some options but I'm finding the scale to be either too large 1:1250 and information rich(Integrated Transportation Network (ITN)) or too small 1:50000(Meridian 2) for my purposes. Does anyone know any good alternatives for GIS/Geographic Data either within the Survey or outside of them?

You might want to have a look at the street-level (1:19k) raster data offered by AZ or Philips. I use the AZ raster data at extensively at work. There are other products available and you might want to check-out somewhere like Map Mechanics, who sell a range of datasets for the UK.

HTH

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the cool link! I actually need the data for print purposes. I'm looking for vector or Shapefiles(prefer ESRI) that I can work with directly.

Does OSM meet your needs?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • United States

Thanks Greg! I contacted some of those companies to see if I can work something out. I think that ideally I would be able to work with the GIS shapefiles directly. Looks like you need a combination of data sources from OS to make a nice street level map. Is that true?

Basically I want to be able to choose gis data and then export it to illustrator so that I can make alot of nice looking maps. Do you think the OS GIS data may be a big headache for me since they don't seem to have the street level scale that I need? thanks again! jonathan

You might want to have a look at the street-level (1:19k) raster data offered by AZ or Philips. I use the AZ raster data at extensively at work. There are other products available and you might want to check-out somewhere like Map Mechanics, who sell a range of datasets for the UK.

HTH

Greg.

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

A brief description about importing OSM to ArcGIS with a link to script:
http://geometrybag.w...data-in-arcgis/

regards
Gregory

jonathanelevy

jonathanelevy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • United States

That link was very interesting and I could see that import option as being very useful on more personal projects I have. Since this one is for a business and I need consistent reliable data for years to come and most importantly, licensing issues may be a problem, I think I need something more commercial.

After viewing all the mapping companies in the UK I'm most impressed with the Collins Bartholomew GIS Data. They have what looks like a solid 1:20000 scale geodatabase that I'm most interested in checking out. Unfortunately, A-Z doesn't supply vector so I wasn't able to use them and I'm waiting to hear back from Map Mechanics which looks interesting. Does anyone know anything about Collins Bartholomew by chance? Good company, nightmare stories, etc?

Either way, thank for all of your help and hopefully I can reciprocate on help with US data. Take care, Jonathan

A brief description about importing OSM to ArcGIS with a link to script:
http://geometrybag.w...data-in-arcgis/

regards
Gregory

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

The company that i cooporate with wanted to buy Collins data but till now they didn't so it's hard me to say anything. Whatever The samples you can get:
http://www.mapmart.c...linsSamples.htm seems to be promising.

Gregory

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

After viewing all the mapping companies in the UK I'm most impressed with the Collins Bartholomew GIS Data. They have what looks like a solid 1:20000 scale geodatabase that I'm most interested in checking out. Unfortunately, A-Z doesn't supply vector so I wasn't able to use them and I'm waiting to hear back from Map Mechanics which looks interesting. Does anyone know anything about Collins Bartholomew by chance? Good company, nightmare stories, etc?

Either way, thank for all of your help and hopefully I can reciprocate on help with US data. Take care, Jonathan

We use the Barts 1:200k raster data, which we prefer over the similar offering from OS 1:250k. We certainly haven't had any problems dealing with the company and they have a long history of making and publishing maps and atlases and are part of a larger publishing house.

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->